Poor Sport

Many years ago, when I played youth sports, the worst I worried about was whether or not the opposing team had spit on their hands prior to the post-game handshake--not this:
VANCOUVER - The RCMP said Wednesday it plans to recommend assault charges against a minor hockey coach who tripped a 13-year-old player following a game last weekend, causing the child to break his wrist.
A hockey mom in the stands captured on video UBC Hornets coach Martin Tremblay tripping a Richmond Steel player during the post-game handshake, despite his team’s 5-4 victory Saturday at UBC’s Thunderbird Arena.
Video footage shows the coach shake hands with the goalie of the opposing team. He then appears to purposefully march down the line of Richmond Steel players before sticking out his right foot to the side and trip the youth, causing another player to also fall.
Tremblay then spins around, jabbing his finger toward the second player, who’d leapt back up to his feet to face the coach... Tremblay was arrested after the incident and released same day, on a promise to appear for court date at the end of August, Gidda said.
After watching the video of the incident, I was surprised that the coach involved did not cause a riot in the stands and end up flattened--one thing that few want to face is the fury of moms and dads in defense mode attending their kids' sporting events.


The link to the video is here.


Below is a screenshot of the trip.


19 comments:

Midlife Jobhunter said...

With three boys and over 50 teams of sitting on bleachers watching, I don't think I ever saw a coach go after a kid. Now, coaches going after each other verbally? Or parents being thrown out of the ballpark? Yeah

This display - sad.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

oh gosh - I saw that on the news. So pathetic. I don't really know what to make of it besides a jerk with a huge ego forgetting that he's the coach and not the middle-school age player he once was.

Also- did you see this video here? What a punk of an athlete.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/french-runner-celebrates-race-win-by-shoving-mascot/

Pat Hatt said...

Wow that is just down right pathetic. What a miserable person you have to be to do such a thing.

messymimi said...

Too sad, the state of his world. What kind of people raised that man, or were they good people and he has forgotten what he was taught?

Jess said...

This kind of stuff makes me sick. What happened to athletics being about performance, teamwork, and character?

Some of the fights that professional hockey players get away with without severe and lasting penalties get on my nerves, too. We're told, "fighting's part of hockey," which is ridiculous and poor role modeling in my mind. If that happened in another sport, the player would be kicked out for longer than a brief stint in the penalty box. Sorry. I have a kid who plays sports, so this behavior really makes me mad, and to see this behavior in a COACH is just...ugly.

Miranda Hardy said...

This saddens me. I can't comprehend why anyone would do such a thing.

Bossy Betty said...

So sad. I know sometimes it seems like local teams go overboard on the "it's for the Kids" theme, but I I think we need even more of that kind of training for everybody, including, apparently, coaches!

LD Masterson said...

If the facts on this are verified, I hope that man's coaching days are over. He doesn't belong in sports or working with kids.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
When I saw the video of that, I was "WTF?"...what a lousy sport...and definitely a poster boy on how NOT to be a ROLE MODEL, especially for his team.

Whatta jerk!
And this is called societal PROGRESS and evolution?
(not hardly with throwbacks like THIS one)

Good post.

Stay safe out there.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. It's absolutely shameful and that coach should be prevented from working with youngsters for the rest of his life. Such bullshit should be punished severely.

Hilary said...

Well no doubt that will be the last young team he ever coaches. Good for the Mom who caught it on video.

Carol Kilgore said...

I heard about this. What a way to set an example. NOT!

Jax said...

Omg, this is insane to me! How can a grown adult even contemplate tripping a child? What a jerk! I kind of wish the moms and dads did start a riot. Sigh...

Christina Lee said...

That is SO CRAZY (and immature)!! I bet he never expected it to be recorded!

Lisa said...

This is so disheartening. How are kids suppose to learn fair play, winning and losing gracefully, and integrity with examples like this?!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

re: your comment. hahah yeah- very true. But the mascot was a 14-year-old girl! So I wish he was disqualified from competition and doesn't have the chance to shove another one.

Stephanie said...

He should never be allowed in an arena again. Ever.

terri said...

I'm at a loss. What would possibly make him feel okay doing something like that???

Momma Fargo said...

Very dismayed that someone would do that at any level of the playing field. His display shows yet another example of idiocy and lack of integrity in the world.