Spicy Parenting is in My Future

Sissy is our spunky just-turned-six-year-old daughter. She is one of those kids who is six going on twenty-two.
______________________________________________

I walked into the front room where little "Sissy" was engrossed in an episode of classic Looney Tunes.

"Sissy, are you finished with your lunch?" 

Sissy nods, still staring at the television.

"Ok, hand me your plate and milk."

Receiving the plate and cup, I notice two used Klenexes on the floor.

"Hand me those tissues that are on the carpet.  Yuck."

Again without looking, she grabs the tissues and gives them to me.

"Thanks," I offer.

As I turn to exit the room, I see two balls of brown and pink lying on the end of the couch.

Those balls are Sissy's socks from yesterday: pink being their original color and brown reflecting the mud she collected after a fun evening of puddle jumping.

I sigh.

"And Sissy, please get those dirty socks off the sofa. You know where those belong."

Annoyed, Sissy breaks her concentration on the television, turns toward me, and frowns.

Handing me the used socks, she replies:

"Geez Dad, can't you do anything yourself?"

-----------------------------------------------------

After analyzing this conversation with a kindergartener, I have concluded two things:

1) My life as Dad will become increasingly difficult as Sissy gets older and more opinionated; and,

2) These exchanges between Sissy and I will make for entertaining and spicy blog posts. I should have lots to write about in the future, but I may be smiling less and less as each post is published.

At least I can laugh now.

21 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Our dog came on heat yesterday and my 6 year old says to me "why is Emma's Fanny so BIG!?"

Pat Hatt said...

LOL oh the stuff you will have to write about when she gets older, good luck!

Ciara said...

LOL. Classic little one attitude. I enjoy these stories because I feel like my kids aren't the only ones in the world who behave like that.

messymimi said...

My four kids are 14-21 age range now, and i predict that yes, you will have much to blog about in the future! In fact, i'm still getting material from mine.

Stephanie D said...

Get her "trained" now...don't let her train you.
:)
I think my 8-year old secretly enjoys crapping up the house with stuff and watching mommy get flustered because she can't deal with the clutter.

Jax said...

LOL Oh, she got you on that one ;) hahaha I kid, I kid. But at least you won't have to worry about other children mouthin off to her. She'll put them right in their spot!

Candice said...

Oh my...you may be in trouble during the teenage years!

JoDee Luna said...

This made me smile really BIG! Absolutely adorable!

Miranda Hardy said...

Sissy is spunky. You'll have lots of good material for future posts. Lol

Carol Kilgore said...

Uh-oh. Sissy's got your number, big guy :)

Maxi said...

Hmm, seems that Sissy has you well trained.

Blessings to you and the family, Slam.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
ROFL...and do understand my friend, I AM laughing WITH you.

(and you never have to send a family pet through college, buy them a car, or worry about "protection"...except against FLEAS and TICKS)

:)

Great post.
Hang in there, DAD.

Stay safe (and muddy sock-free) out there.

ladyfi said...

Oh, how I laughed!

Rachel Lloyd said...

Oh no.......too funny. Enjoy her, my daughter now 13 wants to attend co-ed Birthday parties. I would rather have a sassy Sissy attitude.

Blond Duck said...

That cracks me up! Glad you're back!

Elise Fallson said...

Hilarious! My daughter is six and depending on her reactions or facial expressions, I can sometimes get a clear image of her ten years from now. I laugh, but in a couple of years I fear it won't be as entertaining... (:

Lisa said...

Oh, you might be in for a very bumpy ride in about 10 years!

terri said...

Definitely sounds like she's going to keep you entertained AND well-supplied with blog fodder.

presious said...

I have raised four beautiful children, one of which has my first grandchild/son. Hindsight is 20/20 and most hilarious! Yes, you will have moments of pulling your hair out to save her little self, but oooh when you will be able to look back, the laughs you will have, especially when "she" remembers the moments....even more special when she has children of her own and begins to understand what she put you through! lol!

Do enjoy! They are kids only once!

Hilary said...

Ha.. that's a hoot. Gotta love kidlets.. dirty socks and all.

Selma said...

Laugh while you still can. I now have a 16 year old and everything's changed. Actually, it's still pretty much the same..... he's just taller. It's all good. Enjoy!!!