How to Prevent Lost Luggage

I am still shaking sand off from our visit to Padre Island, TX, so no missing persons post this week.

Instead I have this...

-----------------------------------

My travel joke with the family has always been:

Tell me again why I need to pack a bag? If I am going to be at the beach for three days, can't I just wear three sets of clothing on day one, board the plane, and then simply remove a set of clothes on each morning?

Well, I did not use this approach on my trip to the beach, but I did get the last laugh on the Mrs. when the family arrived at our destination, and the airlines had temporarily lost the checked luggage for every passenger on our flight.

If I had only gone with my layered strategy.
________________________________________________

Note: The airline quickly located our flight's bags at the airport where we had departed (changing planes) and got them to us a few hours later--plus a $50 gift card. It was no big deal for us.

I am not sure whose bags arrived with us at our final destination, but I am sure that somewhere in this connected blogging world of ours, someone else wrote a moving post on the lost luggage that I stared at as it moved off the conveyor belt last Sunday.

19 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Never has happened to us. Knocking on wood now...

Pat Hatt said...

haha I like your plan, sounds easy enough. I only take carry on, then they can't lose it.

Carol Kilgore said...

That Padre sand stays around everywhere for a while. Glad you had fun!

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Wifey's been to SOUTH Padre...nice pictures. (her folks retired close enough by there to visit).

I swear I will NEVER figure out how THAT much luggae could be "lost" (or detained), when every cargo bin is predesignated for the specific flight that the OWNERS are on...
With ALL the tech, this should happen a LOT less...if at all.

Glad things worked out for you.
Layering might work out...LOL

But, although it's COSTLIER, you can always become a PILOT and FLY YOURSELF..with YOUR luggage...and arrive intact and complete (no layering required).

Just a thought.

Stay safe out there.

Jax said...

Glad to hear that your luggage was quickly recovered!!! Hope you enjoyed your beachy vacation.

P.S. I side with the Mrs. on the luggage deal, sorry!! :P

messymimi said...

In his book Life with Father, Clarence Day, Jr., talked about their housekeeper traveling to be with them one summer, wearing almost all of her clothes, with the pots and pans she wanted tied under the layers, and her luggage packed with food too cook for them when she got there. Too funny.

ladyfi said...

LOL - that layered idea is great!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I've been to South Padre before - it is beautiful there.

Lisa said...

That would never work for the female flyers. It's hard to wear 3-4 pairs of shoes at the same time.:-) Glad your luggage arrived safely before your vacation was finished.

Ciara said...

It happened only once to me. Luckily it was on the way home. Glad they found your luggage.

Brian Miller said...

ha...happened a couple times...when i used to travel as a trainer...sucks when you materials dont show up much less your clothes....

Jack said...

That's really funny man. good advice too.

Adam said...

It sweet they gave youll a gift card

Selma said...

Thank goodness you got the luggage back. I think the layering approach is a good one. It would prevent a lot of problems. LOL.

Unknown said...

I love this story .. but I have to tell you, I tempted fate by claiming that I'd never lost a bag in all my travels this year for Heifer 12 x 12 ... and then immediately lost my bags and my daughter's in the last trip to Rwanda. And trust me, they didn't deliver our bags to us, and certainly didn't give us a gift card! The good news is that our luggage arrived after one day ... and I was SO grateful, no matter what! Loved your Padre Island vacation story nevertheless!

Maxi said...

Hmm, layers. You might be settin' a trend, Slam.

Blessings to you and the family - Maxi

Elisa Hirsch said...

I love how you ended this. That made me laugh out loud!

And the layering strategy is such a good one. I just bought a ticket to go visit a fellow blogger with The Scribe this January. Maybe we'll both layer up ;)
I'm so excited I can hardly wait! Do you ever read Dee's blog? http://www.cominghometomyself.blogspot.com/
Anyway, we're going to visit her. P.S. I think she isn't too far from Milwaukee--maybe I can go there just to see how big it actually is LOL!

Momma Fargo said...

Another reason I try to always have carry on only. Nuts. Glad they found your bags.

Hilary said...

Good thing they resolved it quickly and I assume, satisfactorily. Next time you'll be layered, eh? ;)