Nicknames

Sorry, no missing person post this week either...
__________________________________________

Over the years, I have been referred to by many names other than my own.

And yes, I can even include some on this blog.

Omitting "Slamdunk" because it does not have a good story behind it, here are a few:

Monsignor
Somehow in college, I became a fraternity member.  I am not fraternity material, and would look dreadful wearing a toga similar to those of the party guys in Animal House.

In any event, I was a frat boy for my undergraduate years and served as president during my junior year.

My secret to rising to the top of a "greek" organization?

Outstanding leadership and organizational skills? Great mobilizing of resources? Superb motivational speaker?

Umm, well, no, no, and no.

I think I was the "go-to" guy at the frat because I was actually sober at the parties and social events.

Once that I was seen as "responsible," the "Monsignor" nickname was given and I took over as president soon after.

Running Man
I finished first in my police academy class in running and fitness. When I hit the streets with my training officers, being the Running Man earned me the job of "designated foot chaser" of fleeing criminals, while the older smarter officers drove or watched--keeping their uniforms clean and dry.

The Janitor
I always seem to have a keychain full of keys. I have keys for vehicles, houses, deposit boxes, shed locks, and probably, if I looked at each key, a few that I don't remember what they open. As such, an officer that I worked with (now a police commander), tagged me with the custodial nickname.

So that guy walking past you with the loud jingle--that may be me "The Janitor."

-------------------------

I also do have two nicknames that I aspire to earn, but it is a work in progress:

T-Bone
I think this is such a diverse moniker--it can create images ranging from a football star to an eclectic musician.  Plus, George from Seinfeld made "T-Bone" an all time classic.

Trophy Husband/Arm Candy
I can dream can't I?

________________________

Do you have a unique nickname?

41 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

That Seinfeld clip is a classic. Hilarious. I really don't have a nickname other than the self titled Seattledad.

Suz said...

Dippy.

oceangirl said...

Is this a suicide talk or a nickname talk? :)

Em-Musing said...

Aw, I know your wife thinks your arm candy. Me? Lately people have been calling me 'princess'. Why? I have no idea. If I was a guy, they wouldn't call me a 'prince' just someone who won't settle for less.

Clarissa Draper said...

You can dream, that's allowed. I think I'm going to start calling my husband The Janitor.

Pat Hatt said...

LOL good luck with the last one, but you never know. Interesting nicknames, must be hard to sneak up on people too haha

Carol Kilgore said...

No nickname :(
But I just started going to our local PD's Citizen Police Academy. So far we've learned about them, seen a presentation from the SWAT team, and had an overview of the Texas Penal Code. Any tips?

Erin said...

These are good ones :) Noah has had a few: NoahSir, Jesus's Little Sunbeam (that one was from the police academy), and strangely he is also vying for Trophy Husband.

Janet Johnson said...

Love your nicknames!

My husband calls me Beautiful (Awww) . . . and my kids call me Mommy.

But my family as a nickname from my middle name. But they are the only ones allowed to use it. :)

messymimi said...

No nickname, but i like yours.

Lisa said...

Have been called a Steel Magnolia before, but as I get older, it seems the title might not fit well anymore.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Once someone tried to call me Bubba. I said, "Hell no. I am not a Bubba."

BobKat said...

Sorry, but I have to ask... SlamDunk, and how you became the Great Blogger you are??? I know for example, you appeared on the Brianna Maitland Missing Person website as SlamDunk... were you that before then?

As for my nicknames, so many - both insults and welcome compliments. This isn't about me though, but years ago I was nicknamed "Bob Dylan", by friends with two kids, and they grew up calling me that... now to me, that's a compliment!

Blond Duck said...

I didn't know you were a cop! That doesn't surprise me at all!

Stephanie said...

LOL I have never ever had a good nick name. Perhaps I too should pick one to aspire to!

Anthony said...

I didn't pick up nearly as many interesting nicknames. Tony is the most popular one for me...

Maxi said...

From first to foot chaser, the older and wiser comrades saw it coming, Slam.

Thanks for the laugh.
Blessings - Maxi

LD Masterson said...

I always wanted a nickname as a kid because I thought they were cool (unless you got stuck with Stinky or something like that) but it never happened. Now I have four young people in my life who call me Nana and that's the best name of all.

Jax said...

My family refers to me as Miss Tish or Beans. I got Beans from when I was little. I used to do things and then blame my brother. My dad would tell me that I was full of "beans". LOL I'm not sure where the Miss Tish came from, but I can only imagine what that says about my character. hahahaha

The janitor thing is funny!!! My dad does the same thing with the huge thing of keys to nowhere. LOL

Tina L. Hook said...

Nicknames have never stuck with me. Go figure.

Elise Fallson said...

I love nicknames, they usually have a funny story attached to them.

I was called the Screamer in high school due to the high pitched and really loud shrill I'd make in the stands during basketball and football games. I couldn't whistle loud like everyone else, so I screamed, though it sounded more like an ear-piercing squeal....

Blond Duck said...

My nickname in High School was Rip Van Winkle.

Caryn Caldwell said...

Love your nicknames! Each one is unique, too, with its own story. How fun.

I don't really have a nickname (that I know of). Hmm. May be something to work on. :-)

Momma Fargo said...

Yes, I do, but this is a family show. Kidding.

Love the nicknames. Funny how they stick.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

When I was a server back in the day they called me "Grace." Ha!

Audrey Allure said...

Haha, nice! I get Princess and Kitten in addition to Auds.

Blond Duck said...

Hope ya'll had a good Labor Day!

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
As long as no one ever calls me "late for dimmer", most any nickname will work for me...lol.

Stay safe out there.

Luisa Doraz said...

I love all of the nicknames. I have a few. Since I am Italian and from New York, you can just imagine. lol Hope all is well.

Midlife Jobhunter said...

My nickname usually depends on weather I'm in trouble or not. My full name when I am - Jewel when I'm not.

EC Stilson said...

These are so fun! :) I love the "Running Man" nickname ;)

Secret Agent Woman said...

My boyfriend of the past year calls me Greenbean. I have no real nicknames, but guys I've been involved with have called me the usual ones - Baby, Honey, Sugar, Sweetie. It's the South.

Blond Duck said...

Hope everything is well!

Candice said...

I love the running man story! BTW, where have you been?? Hope all is okay.

Diana said...

Hubby calls me "Wilma"... and I call him "Fred"... you know, from the Flintstones. It just started one day when I said to him, "Ready, Freddy?" and he said, "Sure, Wilma." LOL! Hubby has also called me "Precious"... bleah. We won't go into that, haha.

I think you should go for T-Bone. Yeah.

FashionCherry said...

Hi Slam!

Love your blog it's hilarious!

~ Tasha

JJ.in.Phila said...

Yes, and most of them you would have to delete, since this is a family site. :)

Jenny said...

Names?

We're supposed to call people by their actual names?

I'm not sure if I actually remember my husband's...or my Grandlittle's REAL names!

ha!

A Doc 2 Be said...

SD, where are you???

Anthony said...

Welcome back!

Mommy Lisa said...

Sorry - I could never call you T-Bone, that is what I call my hubby. ;) Monsignor I could get used to though.