Dad and His Pajamas

"Hey buddy, five minutes until we leave for school," I told the laughing kindergartener as he bounced on the mini-trampoline and watched television.

Diverting his attention to me from Little Einsteins and their use of the melodic Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor, Luca replied "Ok."

Suddenly, he stopped jumping.

Looking at me, his head moved up and down and his eyes focused on the grid-pattern of my shirt.

"Dad...umm... Dad...ummm, you're wearing your pajamas!"

Oblivious as to how I was dressed, I glanced down at my buttoned-down 100% cotton long-sleeve shirt and said, "Ha, no man. This is a work shirt. Nana gave it to me for Christmas."

Unfazed. The little guy responded,"Pajamas! You are wearing pajamas!"

He paused, sucked in a full breath of air, and in a projecting voice, continued:

"...But the front door was open and his father's footprints went out into the snow--and it was 50 below zero that night. 'Yikes,' said Jason, 'my father is outside in just his pajamas. He will freeze like an ice cube'..."

I laughed.

And so, five minutes later we departed for school. Luca brought his backpack and lunch, and I wore my "pajamas."

In sum and just a warning for all of you parents out there: encouraging your children to read may have unexpected consequences. You may be subjected to the judgment of a young fashion critic--one who effectively incorporates children's literature into a conversation. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Luca enjoys several of Robert Munsch's books.



With the story referenced above (50 Below Zero), he has memorized the whole book; obviously waiting for an opportune time to zing dad.  

________________________________________________________________________

Note: With this or with any of my posts, I don't receive any compensation for the books that I mention. 


25 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

Good for him! So cute!

SuziCate said...

Fabulous! Nothing like a kid who learns to quote literature early...and uses it for sarcasm against parents...love it!

Pat Hatt said...

haha always fun how they turn things around and use what they learn, making you feel the burn.

Maxi said...

Luca is a funny kid, Slam. Wonder where he gets that sense of humor.
Blessings ~ Maxi

Bob G. said...

SLamdunk:
LOL...good story.
Guess Dads are tougher than one would imagine, eh?

And a good book always has a way of staying WITH you, too.
(no matter the age you first read it..and then later APPLY it)

Nice post.

Stay safe (and unfrozen) out there.

Mommy Lisa said...

Ha ha ha - Boo Boo likes "I know an Old Lady Who Swallowed A Pie." Weird stuff in those kids brains. ;)

messymimi said...

There's something both gratifying and upsetting about them using their intelligence against us like this.

Ciara said...

Reading and applying what he learned. That is a great sign for early development. Awesome!

lisa said...

Have not heard of this book, but sounds like one Peanut would like! It would be funny if you had "pajamas" in every color just to entertain the kindergarteners.

Brian Miller said...

hahaha....i have had a few conversations with my boys like that...smiles...now i get all kinds of questions mostly about what words mean...i need to keep a dictionary handy...

Stephanie D said...

Our little ones say the best things, don't they?! This was adorable.

Secret Agent Woman said...

There is nothing like a literate kid - it's worth being called out about wearing your pjs.

Blond Duck said...

I want a mini trampoline.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

That is so cute. And he sounds SO smart! Quoting verbatim an applicable passage- smart boy!

jumpingpolarbear.com said...

Are you sure you didn't wear the pajamas? :)

ladyfi said...

Sorry - left my comment under the wrong post! Way to go little dude!

Momma Fargo said...

Haha. Love it! Hope you and your pajamas have a wonderful New Year!

LD Masterson said...

Love that. I'll bet he "zings dad" on a regular basis.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

LOL, very cute!

Hilary said...

Ha.. funny little guy. We read Robert Munsch books to our kidlets on a regular basis. He's a hoot.

Beth Zimmerman said...

Adorable! There are a few books, which I read over and over, that I could probably zing somebody with myself. I'll Love You Forever comes to mind! =)

terri said...

I'm impressed with Luca's ability to memorize such a passage!

Dawn said...

That is simply priceless!! Reading has been the number one highlight in my days teaching the kiddos. It's amazing what sponges they are:))

Candice said...

Sounds like he got you good, Slam! :)

AbigailCW said...

This made me smile. Out of the mouths of babes!