Finish in Ten Days?

I am trying to figure out what I would have done as a college student with all the additional free time if I could have taken courses like this:

ALTUS — Western Oklahoma State College will no longer offer a type of controversial online course reportedly favored by college athletes looking for quick credits, school officials announced Wednesday.

The college's announcement came hours after the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education released a report recommending the college immediately discontinue its 10-day online intersession courses.

The State Regents office released a compliance report Wednesday on those courses. According to the report, the office didn't find sufficient evidence that the so-called quick-credit courses are appropriate for a college-level curriculum... 

According to the report, the college offered 256 course sections via 10-day online courses during the 2011-12 academic year. During the spring, summer and fall semesters, a combined total of 7,501 students enrolled in those courses...students came from across the country.
Learning "higher ed" style in only 10 days?

Really?

Wow.

I am convinced that if I could have knocked out a college course in less than two weeks back in the day, I would have become a much better video game player.

Fast fast forward many years, my traditional education left me a mediocre "gamer" whose older son thrashes him on the X-Box, and whose little daughter whoops him on the Wii.

Looks like I might have a late night tonight, long after the kids have gone to sleep: practicing Wii Bowling with a goal of respectability.

____________________________________

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

17 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Enjoy your weekend, too. Yes, a couple of my kids took 3-week online classes over the winter holidays. (Ensured graduating in 4 years so helped my budget, but... ) Thinking I could have had much more fun in college if I had knocked out credit like that.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

LD Masterson said...

It could be worse. My kids AND my grandkids kick my butt on the Wii. My eldest grandson can carry his controller out of the room while we're playing and still beat me.

Have a great weekend.

Anthony said...

With courses like that, I could have finished college less than a year--maybe within a few months. :)

Miranda Hardy said...

Wow! I can't imagine how they got away with that for a whole year. lol

messymimi said...

Our local Community College has intersession courses. During the breaks between semesters, you can sign up for a course, and you go for up to 8 hours each day, and get full credit for the course by the end of it.

They actually require you spend the same number of hours getting classroom instruction as if you were taking it over the course of a full semester. These are intense courses, though, for people who really want to learn something.

Doing it in ten days online does sound like a scam, though.

lisa said...

Give me any college course catalog and I'm sure I could eliminate at least half of the courses that offer no real redeeming value to successful employment.

And sounds like you need some remedial "gaming" courses to get you up to speed! Good luck with that!

Diane Estrella said...

I probably would've gotten a couple of BS degrees with that program. ;)

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Now THIS does seem a bit on the ridiculous side.

--Diane's "BS" degree mention...LOL - how TRUE!

Whatever happened to GOOD, solid courses like "Conversational Klingon" anyway?
Always nice to adopt a "second language" these days.

Higher education must mean how much reefer the students OR the professor is on.
They should be calling it Leftist Indoctrination.

At least THAT would sound correct.

Good post.

Stay safe out there.

Janet Johnson said...

Yeah, my 6-yr-old trounces me on all things Wii. I did take a 1/2 semester class once, and it was the bomb! I had so much free time the second half of the semester. :)

Brian Miller said...

dang...kinda wishing my masters classes were like that...cant complain though, they are only 8 weeks long...

Pat Hatt said...

haha damn that would sure help the gpa, and allow you to play videogames most of the day.

Blond Duck said...

Ha! With my luck, it'd take me ten days just to figure out the system to take class! :)

shauna nosler said...

All the football player (OK, not all of them) majored in Leisure Studies when I was in school ... seriously! You know I was an athlete and took a few of those classes myself ... they have since renamed the major to Hotel and Recreational Management - I ended up getting my degree in Economics ... my husband however (gulp) is/was a Leisure Study graduate - love talking to the kids about that!!

Maxi said...

Welcome to modern day college, Slam and … the Internet.
Blessings ~ Maxi

Ciara said...

My kids smoke me on Wii all the time. I'm trying to teach them how to be gracious winners, but they act more like they just smacked me down on a wrestling mat. :(

momto8blog said...

some of the classes my liberal arts major children have taken at expensive liberal arts schools make that class seems like an honors class! People would be amazed...
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can. but,
i would have taken that class if i could have ..

altheasarah said...

Hahaha A cousin once told me that 'Education is relative.' It won't really matter if you go to a state university or a state college so long as you are really determined to learn. BUT, learning 'high ed' in just weeks. Wow. How can you even shrink learning school rules in 2 weeks?!