On Christopher Dorner

I read a few articles about "California's Most Wanted" Christopher Dorner, a former Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officer who is suspected of three murders in apparent retaliation for his 2008 termination from the LAPD.



He is described as having "declared war" on the police department for allegedly ruining his reputation--relating back to 2007 when Dorner reported an incident accusing a fellow officer of abuse.

From the transcript posted online about his departmental hearing (sorry no link--I read it yesterday, but it has since been buried on search engines by 1,000s of other stories on Dorner) to his "manifesto," I have to question how long agency supervisors believed that the guy had serious mental problems before he was dismissed.

You wonder how he slipped through with passing scores on all of the psychological evaluations and tests that are required of anyone hired as a police officer.

Unfortunately, I don't see this situation ending without further violence.

Anyway, this was reported by several news outlets and bothers me as well:
...A shuttle bus driver turns in a wallet with an LAPD badge and a picture ID of Dorner to San Diego police. The wallet is found less than five miles from the boat, near San Diego International Airport...

When an individual leaves policing (as I did), you are mandated to turn-in all of your departmental issued equipment. Obviously, your firearm, badge(s), and police identification cards would be at the top of the list.

Dorner was dismissed in 2008.

It is now 2013.

Why is he still running around sunny Cali with a badge and police ID card?

If accurate, that should never happen.

There were multiple "balls dropped" in Dorner's case, and I hope when this over, LAPD's long after-action report includes recommendations for improvement--including assurances that fired police officers never slip through the cracks in keeping what identifies one as a sworn officer.
___________________________________________________

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

15 comments:

LD Masterson said...

Fascinating. Could the badge and ID possibly have been duplicated he acquired somehow while he was on the force? Or did the PD really screw up that badly?

Sue said...

This is disturbing news and I hope an exception to the norm.

Miranda Hardy said...

Very disturbing indeed. You have to wonder about how things played out. It's a horrible travesty.

Jess said...

I agree with Sue and Miranda, above. Disturbing news.

Pat Hatt said...

The badge and Id could easily be fake too, but either way really sounds like someone dropped the ball. Psychos are great at hiding it though.

messymimi said...

Sad and scary. If only there were a foolproof say to uncover people who are a danger. Then again, nothing is foolproof, fools are too ingenious.

Hilary said...

Yeah it's a scary story.. which reads much like movie material.

Luisa Doraz said...

CA has a lot of problems. The news here is crazy. He was hiding out nearby. Yikes! I think people need to control their lives! Have a nice weekend.

Maxi said...

There had to be something wrong long ago. It's hard to believe this man didn't go off the rails until he was dismissed from the force.
Blessings ~ Maxi

Beth Zimmerman said...

That's really scary!

BobKat said...

I also read about why he was terminated 5 years ago, the court hearings and all. Seems apparent to me at the time he was quite sane, but after his termination, what he claims was an injustice that ruined his life's ambitions. What I don't understand is why now? 5 years later did he "snap"? By coincidence, 5 years ago was also the start of the so called Great Recession which destroyed a lot of people's lives; so has he been trying to get a new life together all this time? Only to snap now? Very disturbing turn of events!

Slamdunk said...

@ LD: It is possible that he obtained fraudulent police ID from somewhere, but being that he served as an LAPD officer for several years, it is more likely that he just did not turn in all the identification to his agency that he was supposed to. And if so, someone overlooked it.

@ BobKat: I am sure those details will be more clear later. I am guessing the "now" part was in relation to his appeal process ending and that he decided to leave his position in the Navy--not sure if losing the police job caused problems with his security clearances or not. From what I read related to the hearing, from his ex-girl-friend, his own details of reporting this person for this and that person for that--I felt like the mental issues were there long before the rampage.

Momma Fargo said...

He is a very dangerous and unpredictable terrorist right now. I have issues with all that led up to a supposed honorable Navy country man getting fired from a police department and then years later going off the grid. It will be interesting to see if he is captured alive and gives any insight to his problems.

Momma Fargo said...

Well, our department does not make you turn in your badge because you can purchase them. I have 7...all from the different positions I held. I also got to keep my name badge and honor pins. I was not allowed to keep my department ID, nor did the Sheriff's department let me keep my deputy ID. Not sure if LAPD does the same. You can also purchase them as laymen which is very scary and I had worked a case where the man impersonated polie and firemen to defraud people and molest children. Very unnerving and something the manufacturers need to rethink. The average person would not know they are fake.

Nom De Guerre said...

Big Blue Bloods fan here. I wonder if the disgruntled terminated cop in the recent "Loss of Faith" episode was a reference to these real life events.