Funding a Trip to Dollywood?

I am usually supportive of a performance-based pay for employees, but not in every instance:
NEWPORT (TN) - Leaders in Cocke County are considering reexamining the county's constable system.

Constables are elected law enforcement officers. They don't draw a salary.

Instead they're paid based on the number of tickets they write or warrants they serve.

The scrutiny comes after at least one complaint to the Cocke County Legislative Body.

Harold Cates owns a gas station at the Hartford exit on I-40 in Cocke County. Cates says constables Derek Wright and Jimmy Roach have set up speed traps and issued citations on a stretch of the interstate between the Exit 443 and the North Carolina border.

"That's where the speed limit is 55 miles per hour and there is no car that goes 55. Every car that goes on this interstate will exceed 55 miles per hour, and they can catch them as fast as they can write tickets," said Cates.

By law, constables get a partial kickback for issuing citations, making arrests, and serving court summons. A constable in Tennessee gets $27.50 for writing a speeding ticket...

Now, I think it makes sense for constables to receive compensation for warrants served.

Prosecutors and/or judges are waiting for criminal and civil warrants to be delivered so that the court cases can be moved forward.

But for traffic citations?

Do citizens really want Constable Bubba high-fiving himself at the end of a long day of ticket writing because he now can afford that Ranger Z522 Comanche bass boat and a trip to Dollywood with his sweetie?

Paying officers per traffic citation makes about as much sense as compensating college professors for each "A" grade earned by a student in his/her class.

Wait..

Maybe, that might work for those teaching in college.

Just give everyone an "A" and collect the big check.

I wonder if the Mrs. would like the Wild Eagle coaster at Dollywood?

Hmm.

13 comments:

Blond Duck said...

I just have to tell you-- one of my writing students, a retired gentleman, wrote a book you would love. (Unpublished). If you ever want to read it, let me know-- I think it'd be right up your ally and you could give him more insight than I could.

It was not a happy duckie book. :)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

27.50 is good money for five minutes work.

Momma Fargo said...

Wow. I could see corruption in the works there. On the flip side, I could have made a TON of money had they done that at my department.

Pat Hatt said...

Giving all an A would save a lot of time too. They give out 100 tickets a week, all year long and that is well over 100,000 a year. I'm in the wrong line of work

lisa said...

Well, that confirms my suspicion that traffic cops sometimes operate on commission! Don't even get me started about college professors............

What are you plans for funding a trip to Dollywood? :-)

messymimi said...

Giving them a quota i can comprehend. Giving them a cut is unconscionable.

Brian Miller said...

oy they dont need more incentive in my area to write tickets...just saying...ha...

Carol Kilgore said...

What a mess! I'm not sure, but I think such a thing has been declared illegal here in Texas - probably because some areas were doing just such a thing.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Cocke County is a world unto itself. Constabulary kickbacks for speeding tickets doesn't begin to scratch the surface of it.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

GAH! I'll remember this if I"m ever over that way!

Miranda Hardy said...

Wow! I had no idea this happened in some places. Makes it a bit crazy.

Rachel Cotterill said...

That is a bit crazy. Performance is not the same as turnover!

JJ.in.Phila said...

My understanding is that Constables, which are elected in most of Pennsylvania, are elected, but not permitted to make traffic stops.