Senseless Home Repair Violence

I am not Mr. Fix-it, but I do my best and am making headway on my summer home improvement to-do list.

After wrestling with a toilet flush valve replacement and installing some new parts so a bathtub faucet would stop leaking, I am on project #3: sanding the wood around our garage doors as well as the post on our porch so that I can repaint them.

For the past month. the temperature has been mild here, so leave it to me to save the outdoor project for this week's heat wave.

Anyway, coming in the front door after I had been sanding on the porch post, I noticed little boy giving me the evil eye. He was sitting at the computer desk in front of a bay window overlooking the porch where I was working.

"Are you being good over there?" I asked.

Little boy frowned.

"Dad, why are you hurting my house?"

Not exactly a vote of confidence for dad's work on the home improvement list.

I'll have to tell him how I tried not to "hurt" the toilet only to realize while testing it, that if the adjustable pin is not firmly locked into place, lots of unwanted water sprays into the air.

In essence, being soft was repaid with "yuck."

Good thing this "appliance and building materials torturer" always carries towels with him.
_______________________________________

Have a good weekend everyone.



16 comments:

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I had a laundry list of projects this summer. Then my transmission went and along with it, the cash for the repair projects!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Definitely not a vote of confidence on your repairing abilities from the little boy ;)

Pat Hatt said...

haha oh the toilet, never want to fix one. Maybe it was just the house crying because you were hurting it

EC Stilson said...

I fix things around our house. When Cade used to, the kids started learning a whole new language consisting of four-letter words. I'm not saying I'm much better...but at least I say things like "Oh balls . . . of fire," instead of the f-bomb. lol

messymimi said...

Ah, the amazing things kids get in their heads. Good luck, and i hope the house doesn't strike back any more.

Stephanie said...

LOL I wish my Hubby would "hurt" our house a little more! isn't it funny how children sometimes perceive things!

Brian Miller said...

haha not the vote of confidence at all...smiles...i can handle the little jobs but i know when to call in my dad...he knows much more than i....

Carol Kilgore said...

Aw, that's so sweet :)

Happy Weekend!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Awww. Sweet boy. I was always jealous that my husband had jobs around the house that fixed or improved things. When all the kids were home, nothing I did stayed done for 24 hours.

Enjoyed the story.

Elise Fallson said...

Kids always speak their mind. This is one of those stories you need to remember so you can retell it when he's 18. (:

Rachel Cotterill said...

Oh, that's too funny. You should explain the concept of re-breaking bones to set them, that'll learn him ;)

terri said...

The to-do list never ends when you're a homeowner, does it? In the not too distant future, we probably need new carpet, windows, a mattress. There's some painting that could be done and the deck is in need of new stain (but hubby wants to rip it down and replace it with a 3 season porch... someday....)

Funny that your little one pays such attention and worries about the house. Cute kid story!

Hilary said...

"Hurting the house." Now that's adorable. I'm in the middle of a load of repairs at my place too.. so I can empathize.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Just did a toilet repair myself a few weeks ago.
And NO, I didn't get a free "facial" in the process...

The whole getting older thing is bothersome, because you KNOW what needs to be done, HOW to do it (or can figure it out) yet while the MIND is willing, the BODY protests.

Not to mention that WIfey said she'd hate to see me fall off the roof and land in the hospital.
I told her I could NEVER bounce THAT high.

Stay safe out there.

lisa said...

Bwahahahah! Why are you hurting my house? That's great! Hope your house torture track record get a bit better. ;-)

ladyfi said...

Ha ha! I wish my husband would try his hand out at hurting the house!