Misdemeanor Physical at the Grocer

In these trying times, even grocery shoppers need to remain ever vigilant:

(FAIRBANKS, AK) 63-year-old Fairbanks resident Merrill Moses was reported to the Fairbanks police department on Wednesday night for operating a shopping cart while under the influence of alcohol after trying to drive the cart into the traffic in the Fred Meyers parking lot.

Police arrived at Fred Meyers to find an employee of Fred Meyers detaining the inebriated Moses by holding the handle bars of the motorized cart. It was reported that he was being held back for fear he would be injured by another vehicle. When police attempted field sobriety tests on Moses, he failed.

Police said he could not stand without assistance. A breathalyzer test showed an alcohol level well in excess of the .08 that is the legal limit for driving a motorized vehicle. Moses measured a .310 according to police.

Fred Meyer reported that this is not the first time that Moses has operated a cart in the store while under the influence and has attempted to run over store employees when he was contacted in the past...
Glad everyone involved was ok.

It reminded me of a similar situation that I was dispatched to years ago when I worked patrol.

I arrived on scene at the mall, and a suspect tried to flee from me.

Fortunately, my courage and supreme training kicked-in and I was able to apprehend the driver after a short pursuit.

Here is a shot from that chase:


Wait.

Maybe that is a scene from Paul Blart Mall Cop.

Come to think of it, on some days while policing, I sure felt like Officer Blart.

Happy Monday everyone.

14 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Maybe they should start locking up their carts?!

lisa said...

Too funny....or maybe not. I can see where as the population continues to age, this might become a problem in the future.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

SMH! Some people! :-)

messymimi said...

Amazing what stupid things people will do under the influence. It shouldn't amaze me any more, but it still does.

Pat Hatt said...

Put a kill switch on the suckers somewhere, then they won't be going any where. That floor burn must have hurt haha

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:

Good Lord...sign THOSE cops up in MY city...PRONTO!!!

We not only have people that have NO sense of "grocery-etiquette" (they're always running opposite you on YOUR side of the aisle, or they block the WHOLE aisle with ONE cart...amazing), but somehow manage to REMOVE the carts from the grocery property, ONLY to push tem along our damn STREETS...(what? Kids don't have enough TOYS???).
I come to call them "Ghetto-Schwins"...LOL

Great story.
Love the picture...LOL.

Stay safe out there.

carma said...

Officer Blart is a pretty cool guy. Don't be ashamed ;-)

jodeeluna said...

Once again you made me smile.

Brian Miller said...

haha oh my...drunk & disorderly in a shopping cart....you sure this was not at wal mart? smiles...

Secret Agent Woman said...

One of those things that is funny because it ended the way it did. But boy - .3!

SuziCate said...

I know you post lots about missing people...was trying to find an email to send you. Mine is Suzicate@gmail.com
We have a missing teen from my small hometown. I'm trying to do my part in getting the word out to help find this young lady. Praying she will be found safe and soon and returned to her family...below is a Facebook link. If it doesn't come through let me know and I'll see if I can find a better link if you're interested in posting this to your blog. http://www.blueridgelife.com/2013/08/06/search-for-alexis-murphy-widens-brlm-talks-with-nelson-county-sheriff-david-brooks/

Rachel Cotterill said...

I didn't know there were alcohol limits for those things! And I do hope it *is* you in the photo :)

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the comments all.

@ Suzicate: I am emailing you now.

SuziCate said...

You are too funny! I know of an older gentlemen whose son took his keys and then caught him driving his lawnmower to the ABC store!