As Far as the Moon?

We live in a non-urban area which means visiting most big-name retail stores is a sixty minute car ride.

As I drove home one evening after dropping the older boy off at a sports practice, my youngest son stared at a full moon in all of it's glory.

We had the following exchange.

------------------------------------

LITTLE LUCA: Dad, how far away is the moon?

ME: Pretty far. It took the first astronauts quite some time to fly there.

He pondered my answer.

LITTLE LUCA: Is it as far as Toys"R"Us?

Trying not to laugh, I regained my composure.

ME: Yes, even farther than the "World's Greatest Toy Store."

---------------------------------------

Here's hoping that your favorite store is closer than a trip to the moon.

Have a good weekend everyone.

17 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I bet it must seem so far to him!

Diane Estrella said...

Love hearing how kids' minds work. I get annoyed with a 10 minute drive to any store.... ;)

Maxi said...

Living in a rural area far from any major stores, I understand.

Little Luca will come to mind any time I see a full moon now.
blessings ~ maxi

lisa said...

Love it! It probably looked a lot closer than a 60-minute car ride! I love listening to the logic of small children. Hope you have a great weekend!

Pat Hatt said...

haha an hour away can seem like a trip to the moon

Carma Sez said...

I like that your response was so well phrased "quite some time"...sounds like a great way to save money living miles from the nearest shopping center...

Unknown said...

Happy weekend to somebody who is obviously living in the Right Place!! Love this story .... thanks for sharing.

messymimi said...

When you are that age, it's confusing. After all, you can see the moon from there, but not the toy store!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Brian Miller said...

is it bad that i wish my toys r us was further away? ha. its funny how they judge distance....ours is about 20 minutes away....

Hilary said...

That's adorable. But MessyMimi has a very good point.

Mary Kirkland said...

Kids are so funny.

Rachel Cotterill said...

Ha! Love it. I guess he can't see Toys R Us from the house, though.... while he can see the moon! :)

Secret Agent Woman said...

For kids, anything longer than a few minutes away is unimaginably far away.

Stephanie Faris said...

Being far away from a Toys R Us has to be tough for a kid! I'm about 5 minutes from a huge mall and I still order most things online! (It only has a tiny Toys R Us, though.)

Momma Fargo said...

Things kids say are so priceless!

terri said...

Kids have such a creative sense of perspective! Too bad the world gets so much smaller the older we get.

James (SeattleDad) said...

I love you to Toys R U......And back.

Hilarious.

Hey, have you heard about the Dad Blogger FB group? If not, are you interested in signing up?

let me know.