Steve Carell and I

The other evening, I stood at the sink scrubbing pots and pans.

My after dinner responsibility.

The dog slept at my feet, hoping for a dropped morsel.

The kids had fled to other rooms in the house.

Leaving me alone with my thoughts, and a television left on.

I glanced at the screen.

Disney Channel.

Good Luck Charlie.

Oh, this is the episode where the brothers take the toddler to the park and the eldest son PJ gets stuck in the baby swing, I said to myself.

I chuckled.

Twenty-five minutes later, I completed the cleaning with a wipe of the counter.

Good Luck Charlie ended and I realized that I just watched the entire episode.

With no kids around, I could have changed the channel to anything.

Instead, I watched kid television--with a show that uses the classic 1980s family sitcom style.

Who knew that I had something in common with famous comedian Steve Carell?

The same Steve Carell who starred in Anchorman, The Office, and the remake of Get Smart?

In May, Carell tweeted this:

-------------------------------------------------


@SteveCarell

Watched an entire episode of "Good Luck Charlie" and realized that neither of my kids were in the room. I think I'm a "Good Luck Charlie" fan.


-------------------------------------------------

The series finale airs Sunday, February 16, 2014.

Evidently after that, I'll have to find the remote and do some surfing while making soap bubbles in the sink.

18 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

haha funny how they got you hooked on it. Never seen it.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I have never seen that show either.

messymimi said...

There is hope that there's something good families can watch together still on!

Bossy Betty said...

Hey! This is a good testimonial. Don't you love it when things like this happen?

Carol Kilgore said...

LOL! I've done that. Not with Good Luck Charlie but with other shows.

Hilary said...

Well I don't know the show, but I do know the feeling. When my sons were little, they loved listening to audio tapes by Canadian kids' entertainer, Fred Penner. He was quite wonderful for both kids and adults. There were a few times that my kids' dad and I would continue listening to the rest of the tape even though we knew the kids had fallen asleep in the car.

One A Day Tech said...

Lol those shows are always so addicting!

ladyfi said...

My kids love that programme!

Miranda Hardy said...

I've never seen it, but know that feeling. I've watched several kids shows that were left on I hadn't intended to.

Maxi said...

This little story gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling … great way to start my day. Thanks, SD.
blessings ~ maxi

Stina Lindenblatt said...

LOL I've done that before too. I love that show.

Stephanie Faris said...

Haha, I'm ashamed to say I found myself secretly watching Hannah Montana when my stepdaughter was here back when she was younger. I got so engrossed in one episode, my husband suggested we go ahead and leave for wherever we were going, and I blurted out, "Not until this is over!" I had to see how it ended! That's the sign of a good kids' TV show...

But your story reminded me of a story I heard once. My boss years ago came into work laughing. She said she'd dropped her young child off at daycare and driven all the way into work listening to the nursery rhyme CD that had been playing, without even realizing it. She was so caught up in her thoughts, she didn't even notice!

lisa said...

At least it wasn't a Sophia the First episode! Or Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Or Doc McStuffins........welcome to our house.

terri said...

I've been known to watch kid t.v. with no kids around. If it's a show for young children, I would be likely to watch it for the memories. My daughter loved the cartoons, Arthur and Little Bear and we always watched them while eating lunch before she went off to afternoon kindergarten. My boys loved sports movies, like The Sandlot. I could still watch that movie anytime, anywhere.

More recently, I've come to know some t.v. shows aimed at young adults. My daughter used to watch a lot of Teen Mom on MTV. Caught myself watching it all alone the other night.

Heck, most of what's on t.v. for adults these days is garbage anyway. Why not watch kid shows.

I've always been a fan of Steve Carrell. Even more so now.

Chicken said...

I missed out on Good Luck Charlie, I guess, but I'm a big fan of Max and Ruby. Those poor bunnies. Where are their parents? Thanks for visiting Chickens Consigliere:-)

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Sure sounds a lot better than my "Bad Luck Bobby" gig...lol.
I will have to look for that.

The only thing I USED to watch on Disney was TRON: UPRISING...and they cancelled that.
:(

Take care out there.

Hodgepodge4theSoul said...

That's hilarious! My girls are young adults, but still like to watch that show from time to time. And although I find myself annoyed by it, I can't seem to look away from it when it's on. :D

Carma Sez said...

Great minds think alike. Never heard of this show but if you and Steve watch it that is good enough for me :)