Another Disappearance Anniversary: Brianna Maitland

On March 19, 2004 at around midnight, seventeen-year-old Brianna Maitland got into her car and drove away from her restaurant job in rural Vermont.


Reportedly, she was going to her friend's home where she had been staying--as Brianna had to be at a second job at 8 am the next morning.

The next day, her car was found backed into the side of an abandoned farmhouse about a mile away from the restaurant where she worked.

Inside the unlocked vehicle were Brianna's personal items, but there was no sign of the young woman.

Brianna has not been seen since.
----------------------------------

One of the reasons that I started blogging years ago was to discuss the Brianna Maitland disappearance--and myself and/or guest blogger "BobKat" have authored numerous posts on the sad case.

With the case's anniversary in the news, Vermont State Police did several interviews with reporters regarding the investigation.

But, as one reader who stopped by my place last week said "there is nothing new on this case."

He is right.

Well, I did have one observation on the fresh articles published.

The most popular theory current used to explain the incident is that someone was hiding in the backseat of Brianna's car when she left work that evening.

That she was attacked near the farmhouse, and the discarded vehicle is the result of her resisting a kidnapping.

A representative from the Vermont State Police said that they have "physical evidence" from the woman's car that could lead to a suspect.

I have always thought that she was the victim of a crime--as opposed to someone who decided to start a new life elsewhere or died accidentally and others dumped her car there to avoid police attention.

And, I do believe that she knew the individual/individuals responsible for her disappearance.

But, I don't favor the theory that she was attacked while driving.

It could have happened, but why take the chance of being seen getting into the vehicle or prematurely being discovered before Brianna left work?

It seems less likely as compared to other theories.

If she knew the individuals, why not get her attention while driving, and have her pull off somewhere more private than a restaurant parking lot?

Somewhere that was well known to locals.

Like the place her vehicle was recovered: the abandoned Dutchburn Farm.

The individual or individuals could have still left the evidence referred to by police with the latter explanation--a struggle ensued in the vehicle or the car was moved in an attempt to quickly conceal it.

Certainly lots of unanswered questions still with this case.

Brianna's family and friends are in my prayers as the 10th anniversary of her disappearance recently passed.

You can see all posts on Brianna Maitland by clicking here





11 comments:

Em-Musing said...

Such a sad case. Stories like these are heartbreaking.

Pat Hatt said...

You'd think if she was attacked in the car, the car would be all over the road as she fought back, unless at a stop light, too. Hopefully something breaks in the case, has to be awful not knowing

Secret Agent Woman said...

I dated a man for a while whose sister went missing at that age. They didn't find out until years later when her abductors were caught in another crime, that she was the victim of serial rapists/killers. That experience led him to become a cop.

Mommy Lisa said...

That is so sad. I can't even imagine what her parents feel every day.

messymimi said...

It's so hard to lose a child -- not knowing what happened would be worse. May they find the answers soon.

Brian Miller said...

these anniversaries have to be hard...esp when there is no new evidence...still holding hope...ugh guess we can hope....

BobKat said...

Thank-you Slam... I wrote a lot about Brianna and Maura Murray last year, as cats have 9 lives, and I'm a Kat, but your post here sums it up very well given the most recent news. I agree, it wasn't much new.

In my last post last year I suggested the case would be solved very soon. A comment left for me rather intimidated me asking how could I know that? I answered, honestly, knowing Brianna's father if VSP weren't active in Brianna's disappearance, he (her father Bruce) would be.

The positive message I took away from the recent news was she was a girl looking to make something of her life, and the disappearance has been ruled foul play. That's not the way she was portrayed in the beginning. That alone made me feel positive about all the assistance I provided.

No longer is Brianna simply "...a young woman of questionable character, who is suspected of running away to avoid her drug debts".

Stephanie Faris said...

These stories are so haunting. I believe I saw something about her on "Disappeared?" One of the most fascinating ones is Maura Murray--I see BobKat mentioned her above. I saw that episode of "Disappeared" and was hooked on the series, but none were quite as haunting as her story. Sadly, I think some young girls are taken by complete psychos and killed and we'll just never know what happened because they buried the bodies well.

Maxi said...

I remember when this case happened, SD. It is one of those crimes filled with unanswered questions.

This could have been planned.

A lonely soul lost in the dark.

Brianna picks him up.

She is forced to drive to the farmhouse…

blessings ~ maxi

Blond Duck said...

I can't imagine how the family feels. Did you see that thread on reddit about people who discovered a friend/ family member did horrible things, like murder/ child abuse/ kidnapping? It was terrifying!

BobKat said...

@ Blonde Duck - I can honestly tell you how the family felt.But then in the many posts on both Slam Dunks site as well as my own I already have. To summarize: There's a huge dependence on the authorities, and a noticeable depression, burning with the need to know that drives the family. There is a lot of suspicion that goes around, and the family is not immune. There are immediate questions, most that go unanswered, that drive the family daily, and they live literally by the day. There is hope and despair, in Brianna's case fear felt by the family and fear imposed. Everything said must be listened to, while much is useless, but then there are always doubts. Good communication skills are required and that's how i know all of this... I met Brianna's parents to help locate her missing car keys with my skill as a metal detectorist; Brianna's father was still in shock 8 months later when that happened. During dinner after the search and a heart to heart talk he asked if I would be willing to talk with her friends and associates. I spent weekends with Brianna's parents, and the rest of the time I was either on the phone, in the family Chat sessions with Slam Dunk, or involved in searches.

Apologies, long explanation, but I felt it was important to note my observations.