Love is an Open Door

Previously, I have been asked by expectant fathers how a new addition (or two, or three) will change life; not only immediately but beyond that.

I explain it in terms of a decade.

Like a parent ten years into family life is a contestant on the quiz show Jeopardy.

From behind the contestant podium, he or she stares at the available categories.

And frowns at all potential questions on popular culture.

Contemporary movies and television programming for adults? not so much

Current music? some but not really

News from the past few years? not even

Recent live sporting events? don't ask

Knowing that the the time invested in kid raising has caused a dearth of knowledge in all things current, the contestant will hope for "history" categories--otherwise known as anything other than what has happened in the last decade.

One area of information that parents with young children do excel is on anything related to Disney, Pixar, or other child-friendly movies.

Perhaps displayed best by this mom and dad.



The disinterested girl in the backseat was a nice touch with their video.
-------------------------------
Note: Today's post was inspired by me scrubbing the kitchen and dining room floors a few days ago while the young twins played "Love is an Open Door" at least 13 times in a row. Quality family time for sure...

12 comments:

Electric Addict said...

I think I like the mom and dad YouTube video better than the actual movie.

Pearl said...

There was a time where I knew more about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles than anyone had a right to.

The boy has grown and absconded with, at the least, a handful of my silverware. :-)

Greetings from Minneapolis!

Pearl

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

People mention an actor or actress and I have to google it because I have no idea who they're talking about. I'm definitely out of touch too.

messymimi said...

Yep -- i remember helping them sort Pokemon cards. Back then, i couldn't have told you who was on TV, but i could name almost all 150 of the things.

Pat Hatt said...

I'm still up on things, maybe there is a perk to the litterbox lol

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Never thought of such things being akin to JEOPARDY...
Unless you take the category POTENT POTABLES (for $600, Alex)...LOL.
(and every parent probably knows this one well enougn on some days)

My dad taught me so much, and it never seemed like a "chore" to him...ditto w/ mom.
They both read to me and played with me.
Guess being an only child had some cool perks there.

Very good post.
Stay safe out there.

lisa said...

Love the Jeopardy analogy! I'd never thought of it that way, but it's sooooo true. Watching the video I couldn't decide if the mom was a 60s throwback or not. She's a little too perky for me. :-)

Brian Miller said...

ha. being in the high school, i keep up with culture...it surprises me a bit at times...maybe i am growing old a bit...smiles.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I always played the same stations in the car with my kids as I did before them, so I've stayed up on current music right through their childhoods. I did watch a fair number of cartoons and Disney movies, but also other movies, too. But I have never cared at all about celebrities, so if I flip through a People magazine at a dentist's office, for instance, I don't know who anyone is. That was true before I had kids, too.

Remembering Grace said...

Yeah, sounds about right.

We only watched Disney channel for about 16 years, if not longer. Then we switched off with Nickelodeon. I begged my daughter to watch regular TV, but nooooo.

I've seen every episode of iCarly, Wizards of Waverly Place, Victorious, etc etc multiple times. ALL the movies, ALL the soundtracks. OVER and OVER and OVER again...

Carol Kilgore said...

LOL! But what a good dad you are to watch and listen over and over. And keep the floor clean, too :)

Stephanie Faris said...

I didn't think about it, but that video is an example of what parenthood does to a couple! I don't have kids, though, and I'm out of touch with modern TV/movies/music. I think maybe adulthood just does that to us! We realize there are better things to focus our energies on.