What Not to Do While Driving

Did you know that hiding from the police while driving could be dangerous?

I mean crawling into the back seat from the driver's seat, while the vehicle is in motion?

And doing this without someone immediately willing to take the steering wheel?

I know.

I know.

You'd never believed me that this was dangerous, so I am happy that Scott Tucker of Maine recently provided me with this vivid example to support my assertion:
A West Gardiner (ME) man is facing a host of charges after reportedly jumping from the driver’s seat into the back of his moving car in an effort to hide from a Richmond Police officer.

Scott Tucker, 39, who was driving without a license and wanted on numerous warrants, let his 2003 Chevrolet Malibu coast down Main Street as he continued to hide in the back seat, said Richmond Police Chief Scott MacMaster.

Tucker’s escape bid was ultimately foiled when the car eventually stopped and he tried to jump out of the back seat to run away…

Richmond Police Officer Chris Giles tried to stop Tucker’s car shortly before 1 a.m. on March 12 for a faulty tail light. Tucker refused to pull over when Giles turned on his cruiser’s blue lights, and he continued to drive even after Giles turned on the siren, MacMaster said. Giles then turned on his cruiser’s spotlight and aimed it into the Malibu.

“That’s when he observed the driver jump from the driver’s seat to the back seat,” MacMaster said.

The driverless Malibu continued down the road at about 40 mph, careening from side to side off snowbanks and nearly causing a crash with another car, MacMaster said.

Tucker continued to lay prone on the back seat out of view of Giles’ spotlight.

As the Malibu approached the Parks Road intersection, the front seat passenger, a relative who owned the car but was not named by police because he was not charged, leaned over to try and control the car.

Eventually the passenger was able to bring the car to a stop, MacMaster said…

I guess we can all file that under "life lessons learned."

Like, when I was a child and told repeatedly to never to run while holding scissors--it only took me one self-stabbing incident before I realized what wise advice that was.
___________________

Enjoy your weekend all. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done lots of crazy things before, but never thought of trying that one.

ladyfi said...

Some people! Can't believe it.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Wow. That's a whole special level of dumb!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Gosh I'm glad you told me about this. They should post a warning in all vehicles to raise awareness of this issue. ;-)

Mary Kirkland said...

Never thought to jump in the backseat of a moving vehicle while I was driving. lol wow.

messymimi said...

Well, another one to file under "does not work."

Pat Hatt said...

lol hmmm moron of the week award. Where did he even expect to go, oh lets jump 2 feet into the back and leave the car going, the cop won't see me. It was the invisible man.

Abigail said...

Wow! Just "wow"! A real candidate for the Darwin runner up award.

Brian Miller said...

ha it all catches up to us eventually...ha...what did this one think...the cop would surely think no one was driving...lol....stupid crook news....

Stephanie Faris said...

Wow. I guess he panicked? Did he think Cruise Control would handle it?

terri said...

It amazes me that he thought this might actually work!

lisA said...

I'm with Abigail and think that one should be filed under The Darwin Awards. Unfortunately, they walk among us....and breed.