A Child Named Josiah

Rather than discuss an individual (Frank Mike Jr.) who was arrested in relation to a double homicide in New Orleans or a woman (Frieda Shade) charged in Ontario, Ohio with taking a stuffed animal that had been left by a mother on the grave of her deceased child, I wanted something positive.

Someone who inspires.

I'll talk about Josiah.

At an early age, Josiah Viera was diagnosed with Hutchinson–Gilford progeria syndrome or "progeria"--a rare genetic disease that causes accelerated aging in children.

There is no known cure.

In 2005, doctors thought the 16-month-old had only hours to live, and while hospitalized, his family agreed to have his ventilator disconnected so that he could die peacefully.

But something unusual happened that night after the machines were turned off.

Josiah began improving.

Getting stronger each day.

He faced numerous challenges, but continued to impress everyone.

Medical science had no explanation, and by age seven, the 27 inch tall and 16 lbs. boy (yes, 15.5 lbs. to be precise) was pursuing his dream to play little league baseball.

In 2010, ESPN reporter Tom Rinaldi did an excellent story on Josiah.

You meet his mom.

His grandparents.

And his sister.

And you get to hear from Josiah.

And see determination and joy epitomized.

Inspiration abound.

If you have a few minutes, Josiah's story is worth seeing.



If the video, does not work with your browser, you can go to ESPN's site and watch it by clicking here.

Or, you can read about him by going to PennLive's news site.

The life expectancy for children with progeria is typically between 8 and 13 years.

The last media story on young Josiah was when he attended the State College Spikes minor league baseball game (St. Louis Cardinals affiliate) in August of last year.

Here is a photo:


Whatever is not going my way this week.

Whenever I feel that life is treating me unfairly.

When I lack motivation.

I need to remember the strength of Josiah Viera.

A child who lives as I should: with grace.

Recognizing that each moment is a gift.
_______________________

My prayers are that Josiah gets to attend some baseball games this spring and summer as well. 

Have a good weekend everyone. 

23 comments:

joeh said...

That is inspirational.

Rachna Chhabria said...

There was a Hindi movie about a boy who had progeria. It was called Paa.

My prayers that Josiah attends a few baseball games.

Jinksy said...

Sadly, the video wouldn't let me watch - but I've seen several BBC programs on similar children...

ladyfi said...

So inspiring!

Diane Estrella said...

Beautiful. Inspiring. Motivational to live each day to the fullest!

WomanHonorThyself said...

Slam!..I didn't know you were still blogging my friend...great to see u!..the story is remarkable..God bless you for sharing and have an awesome weekend~!..Angel:-)

messymimi said...

A story to remind you that if you thought you had problems, you probably really don't. Very inspiring.

Pat Hatt said...

He sure shows all to enjoy life no matter what

Chrys Fey said...

That was very inspirational. Thank you for sharing!

debi o'neille said...

What a great read. Thanks for this.
Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

Mary Kirkland said...

That's a good story.

Stephanie Faris said...

Wow. He sounds like an amazing kid. It definitely brings perspective to the things we complain about every day.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the comments all.

@ Jinksy: Sorry--I added a link to watch the video as well.

jodeeluna said...

My son's name is Josiah, so I will never forget this boy. Thanks for sharing his story.

Remembering Grace said...

I think everyone needs to see this, I know I did. Thanks so much for posting it.

Bijoux said...

I remember my oldest doing a project on progeria for school and it was heartbreaking to read about the disease. No matter what your own child is facing, there are always kids out there who are dealing with more.

A Cuban In London said...

That's a very imspiring story. Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Whew! I cried like a baby through that!

Lady Lilith said...

That was by far one of the best clips I have seen. Thanks so much for posting it. I was practically crying.

Lady Lilith said...

That was by far one of the best clips I have seen. Thanks so much for posting it. I was practically crying.

lisa said...

Sometimes we need to be reminded of the importance of perspective, don't we. Great story and very inspirational. I'll certainly remember this one for a long time.

terri said...

Thank you so much for sharing this story! Josiah is truly an inspiration and I found myself smiling and crying all at the same time.

I had one of those days today... and this story reminded me just how good I have it.

Diana said...

Good job, Josiah... God bless you.