Blissfully Unaware

I am a little jealous.

Jealous of those I see who seem blissfully unaware…

Like when I stop the traffic behind me to let another driver into my lane, and the beneficiary of my generosity does not offer a quick wave, smile, or otherwise acknowledge my offering.

Or at a child's sporting event, when a young player scores a goal or makes a great pass and then looks into the crowd where mom or dad are seated, only to see mom or dad with their head buried in a mobile device updating their Facebook status.

Or when colleagues simply laugh at that one student who battles to stay awake in morning classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Nothing funny about the situation as I know the back story: It is not because the student stays out all night socializing with friends, but rather she works full-time on the third shift at a gas station to support her education.

I don't want to be blissfully unaware. I want to be that person who sees the stray dog and tries to help or that individual who sees an American flag laying on the sidewalk and stops to set it back in place. Raining or not.

I never want to lose sight of my surroundings. Allowing others to go first. Holding doors for  anyone else near me. That the world does not revolve around me.

Perhaps, my jealousy is a reminder of what I should be doing. And the realization that...

the blissfully unaware probably don't sleep very well at night anyway.

_________________

Enjoy your weekend everyone.  

19 comments:

Hilary said...

Well said. I think we all have lapses in awareness sometimes. If we're lucky, that lapse causing harm in any way.

I had to laugh when I got to the part about the stray dog. Frank and I nearly ended up stealing what we thought was a stray, hungry (underweight) dog. It turns out the owner was watching us try to coax the dog over. She was not impressed. She said the dog was ill and therefore skinny. Dognapping is not one of life's great accomplishments.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Oh I hate when people don't acknowledge when you're nice enough to let them in!

Diane Estrella said...

I never know what to expect when I come here for a visit. Great reminder to be in the moment and really look at others and not just be filling space.

Donna K. Weaver said...

This is beautiful! Sharing.

messymimi said...

Yes, i wave when someone lets me in. If others don't when i let them in, i figure they couldn't for some reason.

Pay attention, someone told me the other day, because the now is the only moment you have.

Bossy Betty said...

I try to cut some people slack by imagining they are just coming from seeing their mother on her deathbed and therefore unable to focus on their surroundings. The friendly wave is VERY important though and should be given under any circumstance.

Pat Hatt said...

i give a wave went let out or in. And it is no wonder kids have their heads buried in the phone, as the parents do to

Rachna Chhabria said...

Live in the moment, and enjoy every moment is something I believe in. Loved this post. I get bugged by blissfully unaware people.

Brian Miller said...

i do not want to blissfully unaware either...i would rather see it all...even if it is shadow...ugh...yes, dont ever let me slip to there...

Maxi said...

You have stolen my words, SD. I have said them so many times, in many situations, to those who are…

All About Me.

Thanks for the reminder.
blessings ~ maxi

Kay G. said...

Reminds me of the starfish story, you know it, don't you?
Lots of starfish are washed up high and dry on a beach and she begins to throw them back into the ocean. A man sees her and says, "What are you doing, you can't make any difference, there are too many!"
She picks one up and throws it into the deep water and said, " I made a difference to THAT one!"
That is the kind of attitude we need!
Do the best you can at all times, if others don't, then, hey, that's THEIR problem!

Stephanie Faris said...

I can add to that--what about those people in the grocery store that take up an entire aisle while they try to pick out the perfect box of rice? They're blissfully unaware that people are trying to get by. How nice that must be, to feel like there is nobody else in the world who matters but you!

Unknown said...

Such a great post, and SO true! I am always trying to be better about acknowledging the people around me, and to meet them exactly where they are -- and trying to remember that we are all doing the best we can at that particular moment in time. I'm kind of a judgmental person, so that's a struggle for me! Happy weekend!!!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Interesting post. I most often try to be aware and then surprise myself when I discover something I missed. Often right in front of my face. Cueing into others - always a good thing.

Secret Agent Woman said...

The tricky thing is, you don't know when you are being blissfully unaware. I try to stay aware, but I'm sure there are times when I don't notice things I should. So I try to remember that, too, about other people.

lisa said...

Do you think it's because we're a society of *me me me me me* all the time, rarely acknowledge our surroundings? I think the blissfully unaware do probably sleep well at night because….they don't realize there's anything wrong! I hope never to become that self-absorbed.

Country Girl said...

Thank you for not being blissfully unaware. The world needs more people like you.

Out on the prairie said...

I often look for more than what many see

joeh said...

Love it! Well said, and yes you have to have that thank you wave.