I Am Callous

So when I heard the following story, I confess that my first reaction was not: "oh, those misunderstood kids with red marks on their arms."

Or, "what can we do to better educate parents and prevent this new unsafe fad in schools?"

Well, here is the story first, and then I'll reveal my initial thought:

(BETHEL, CT) The principal of Bethel Middle School wants parents and school districts around the state to be aware of a dangerous game going around that’s become popular with teenagers. It’s called the ‘Eraser Challenge’.

Videos of the so-called game are popping up all over YouTube. It’s a dare where kids take an eraser and begin “erasing” their skin while saying the alphabet and coming up with a word for each letter.

Once they get to the letter Z, they stop and compare their eraser burns with their friends. The challenge can cause pain, severe irritation, bleeding, scarring and even possible infection...

So what thought pops into my mind after hearing about this strange yet typical teen-type stunt?

Wow, I am impressed that young people are excited about a vocabulary-building challenge!

I wonder if we could invent and then get students hooked on a similar test that allows for the improvement of multiplication and division skills while facing the threat of a noogie?


What do you think?

Does the "Noogie Challenge" have a future in schools?
_____________________________________________

Whoa, I think the long winter is having a negative impact on me.

Good thing warmer weather has arrived here.

21 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

Part of me just wants to roll my eyes, but the other part of me cringes to think of kids hurting themselves in any way.

messymimi said...

They are so ingenious, now if only they could use their talents for good and not evil, she said only semi-sarcastically.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Just being real here - I can totally see myself doing something like this as a teenager.

Pat Hatt said...

lol well you are right, at least they are expanding their vocabulary

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
We are a product of our society...or rather our "culture".
(we get what we allow)

Just another dumbass idea that kids created from overly-bored minds.
We used to have REAL HOBBIES to take up all that idle time.
Whatever happened to that?

Let's hope don't try this eraser stunt with PUMICE STONES.

Good post and comments.

Stay safe out there

Lady Lilith said...

I have to say this makes me sad. As a kid I know I did stupid things but nothing that would hurt me or cause me harm.

Brian Miller said...

had a kid today doing eraser burns on his arms...he liked the pain...not sure if that is very healthy...at least he's not cutting, right?

Stina Lindenblatt said...

It's both scary and amazing (and not in a good way) what teens will come up with next.

ladyfi said...

Well, at least they're expanding their vocab skills, right?

Maxi said...

Fads become more dangerous with time.

Yet, nothing is more harmful to our young than the attitude and permissiveness of society.

It's better than…
At least they're…
Well, they didn't…
Turning a blind eye

blessings ~ maxi

Donna K. Weaver said...

Seems like some these kids could end up candidates for the Darwinian Award if they're not careful.

Diane Estrella said...

My first thought was that they were eating or sniffing it as that seemed to be the latest thing. So sad for kids now. Are they crying out for help or just bored???

Miranda Hardy said...

Wow! Hadn't heard of this, but it's not too terribly surprising. Can't imagine what they are thinking doing this.

Bossy Betty said...

OK. I think this is disturbing but at least they are exploring the English language. Hummm....

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Yup, I think the winter has done you in.

Stephanie said...

Everytime I hear of a new "challenge" My girls get a lecture. They already got this one. Sigh

Stephanie said...

LOL Now I feel like I need to qualify that comment! Not that they do these types of things! That they need to think or themselves, walk away from the ridiculousness of it all :)

Stephanie Faris said...

We used to do crazy things like that when I was a kid and it didn't set off national news alerts. The world is so protective now. I guess it's good we have awareness, but I'd much rather hear kids doing something like this than sniffing airplane glue or stealing their parents' prescription medications!

terri said...

For some reason, kids at that age just do stupid things like this. (As I recall, it was all the rage in my 7th grade year to put a tack on someone's seat and then watch and wait for them to sit on it and jump back up in pain and surprise. We thought it was SO funny, but I wonder now what the heck we were thinking!

As far as the eraser game, I'm thinking it's a passing fad. Once it hurts enough, or someone gets an infection, they'll learn a lesson and stop.

lisa said...

It does seem like kids have more of a tendency towards masochism these days. I can't really get my head around why one would want to experience the eraser burn pain, bleeding, irritation, infection etc. Kinda makes one worry about their critical thinking skills more than their vacab skills.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.