I Got Rhythm

I was shocked to learn that on YouTube a video exists of me at a music lesson from a few years back.

In the following, I am the one with the hat…



Ok, so that was the much better looking Fozzie Bear playing the part of me.

When I was an undergrad back in the day, I took piano lessons.

My brilliant yet socially challenged piano instructor, graduate of the Juilliard School, told me that I had no rhythm. She said that my mother must not have properly bounced me on her knee when I was an infant.

I wanted to reply to Mrs. Fancy Music Pants that mom did pretty well with me when I was a baby considering she was alone in California, 1,660 miles from her closest family member, and only receiving periodic letters from my father/her husband who was then slogging through Vietnamese rice paddy fields and plucking leeches from his body as a Marine in his second tour of duty.

Instead, I just smiled.

Knowing that she was right about the no rhythm--and I never have found that elusive rhythm thing either.

16 comments:

Mary Kirkland said...

lol I have no rhythm either.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

No rhythm here. I avoid all dancing situations. Snarky music teacher.

Diane Estrella said...

My kids got the rhythm from their dad. He's got all that musical talent.

Jeanette Levellie said...

You did the right thing, waiting till the days of blogging to vent on us, who understand you better than the backwards music teacher. How DARE she blame your mom? That's just ignorance gone to seed.

You may not have rhythm, but you have panache, and that counts more.

Pat Hatt said...

I can rhyme, does that count as rhythm lol

messymimi said...

Not everyone has rhythm, mine is often challenged. As for the teacher, well, i guess she didn't know much about genetics, being a music major and all.

Stephanie Faris said...

LOL. I always wanted to take piano lessons as a child. As an adult, I've found I can't seem to coordinate two hands playing different keys at once!

Brian Miller said...

ha. i can find rhythm in words...um, not so much on the dance floor so....smiles...fozzie is awesome...

Kay G. said...

Hey, you know what, you got SOUL, and that is WAY more important!

Lady Lilith said...

Lo. That was so much fun to watch. Thanks for sharing it.

Maxi said...

You may not have rhythm SD, but you got that "daddy thing" in spades.
blessings ~ maxi

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Poor Fozzie. My rhythm is better with an instrument. I've finally realized I can't sing. Fortunately it took years for my kids to figure that out too. lol

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Hahahaha! I can appreciate that!

Secret Agent Woman said...

I don't think upbringing has anything to do with rhythm. I suspect it's one of those wired in traits.

lisa said...

She said that my mother must not have properly bounced me on her knee when I was an infant. LOL! That's a great excuse! I took a few years of piano and never really embraced it. To this day, I wish I could play an instrument…or at least sing!

Anonymous said...

Haz rhythm but my voice is akin to darth vader pig voice replete with a pronounced squeak!

Oh how the Ad2b has missed reading your posts!