Petty Theft: A Cat and Dog Story

We adopted two brother kittens a few months ago.

They were rescued by a local organization.

Left in a box on the side of a rural road.

It has been fun watching the constant mischief--between the children and pets--though I could do without the 3 am feline wrestling matches.

In any event, this occurred the other day.

---------------------

Our youngest cat is always hungry. He usually hangs out in the kitchen waiting to beg from anyone opening the pantry or fridge.

This weekend, as I walked into the front room, I saw youngest cat creeping up to the computer table.

A treasure had been spied: a half-eaten ham sandwich.

Left unattended by a distracted kiddo.

Seizing the moment, cat jumped to the plate, grabbed the sandwich, and scurried back into the hallway.

Since the morsel was too big to eat in one chomp, he placed it on the hardwood floor to chew.

At that moment, our big yellow dog--also a rescued stray who is constantly hungry--came bounding down that same hallway.

Perhaps attracted by the "ham-in-the-air" scent or hearing the commotion or maybe he was just plain lucky, big dog observed the sandwich being placed at the cat's paws.

In one coordinated maneuver and barely missing a step, big yellow dog chomped the sandwich in one bite, and continued into the computer room to look for additional scraps.

I did not think that a pet, the youngest cat in this instance, could look so disappointed, but I am convinced that is what I saw when the ham disappeared.

It was almost like he was screaming, "NOOOOOOO. NOT FAIR!"

I smiled at my feline friend and said:

"There is no honor among thieves, buddy. Even those of the four-legged variety." 
---------------------

Big dog definitely won that battle, but like me, he has to endure the early morning cat wrestling as well--I am sure the brother cats will win the war.

20 comments:

Hilary said...

Too funny. I get a lot of that around here too. Two cats and a dog. And much competition. At least it's rather quiet at 3 am. Enjoy the crew.. they add so much to our lives. :)

joeh said...

Big dog is liable to get a cat claw to the nose someday.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What goes around comes around little kitty.

messymimi said...

Pets and kids are the best entertainment! Kiddo needs to remember to watch his/her plate, too.

Diane Estrella said...

They are trouble makers for sure. We have one dog now since I am allergic to cats and he is a beggar for sure!

Pat Hatt said...

lmao almost had the prize, needs to take it under the bed next time

Stephanie said...

LOL That is hilarious! We have a cat and the only time he ever tried to steal anyone's food was an unattended bowl of tuna. He's just not into people food!

Chrys Fey said...

I adopted four kittens several months ago. They were actually strays but their mom left them when they were only two months old, so I took them in, and I'm glad I did. :) Except they are BIG troublemakers. Last night they tore apart the ear buds for my MP3 player. One of the ear buds was in their water dish!

Brian Miller said...

ha. oh my. you gotta eat fast...its like having a big brother...if you dont eat it in the moment...you wont get a second chance...

Mary Kirkland said...

That is too funny. My rats are in the living room because they are nocturnal and love to be up at O' Dark Stupid and start running around playing, turning over their food dished, biting on the bars, burrowing under the blankets, spreading dry food all over the cages, chase each other around the cage and squeak like someone is murdering them while playing. Yeah, they stay in the living room so I can sleep. lol

Stephanie Faris said...

Haha, it's a dog-eat-dog world...each pet for himself...so many sayings come to mind here!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I can't stop laughing at the image in my head of how that all went down.

Diana said...

LOL! Our pets were always a wonderful source of entertainment to us... besides being loyal, loving pals. However, we too lost many food scraps through the years. I once found my son's cat head first in the trash bin, hind end sticking out into the air... heh-heh-heh. *grin*

Great to be visiting again! Your humorous stories are always great pick-me-ups. Blessings to you, SlamDunks.

terri said...

How much less entertaining would our days be without the antics of our pets. We have always been amused and amazed by our pets' cuteness and intelligence.

I could just see your cat and dog battling for the sandwich as the story unfolded and it made me laugh!

Our Lucy has just turned three years old and has always been happy to sleep as long as the first one of us to wake up. But lately, she's become an earlier riser and when she gets tired of waiting, insists on clawing the side of the bed and whining until one of us gives in and gets up. This antic is NOT amusing to any of us. We need to try to break that habit asap!

lisa said...

Oh, poor kitty! But I'm sure it was fun to watch! The upstairs cats love bread….and we need to make sure the pantry door is always closed! They also act like they are starving all day long. :-)

Unknown said...

Such a charming story -- you guys are awesome to take in so many rescue pets (but the 3 am tousles?? yikes!)
Have a great weekend, SD!!!

BobKat said...

I agree with JOEH... dogs, like people need to learn to share and be civil, or nice dog with learn what a cat's claw feels like. The cat usually wins.

ladyfi said...

Oh, that is funny. Endless free entertainment for you all!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Wait until the kitty is a little bigger - then the dog will be a bit more cautious.

Abigail said...

I love hearing about your family antics...even the four legged kind. The kitty will get smarter.