Sad Ending: Katelyn Markham Missing

I was going through blog posts that I still needed to finish, and I saw that I had started a draft on a missing woman from Ohio named Katelyn Markham.


I remember a reporter had commented awhile back suggesting that I look into that case.

I get lots of those requests, and wish I could handle them all, but rather than just repeat information that is already online, I select missing persons and crime stories that I feel like I have something to contribute to the discussion.

This was one that I did not have a chance to research much.

Here is what was known...

On August 13, 2011, John Carter, Katelyn's fiance, received a message from Katelyn just before 1 am. Evidently, the contents of the message were normal and did not indicate any reason for alarm.

When the man learned that his fiancé did not show up for work later that day, and her car was found parked outside her residence, he and other family members entered her townhouse to check her welfare.

Reportedly, they found everything inside apparently in order--other than her dog having been put in the bedroom for what appeared to have been awhile.

There was no sign of forced entry. Katelyn's purse and keys were there.

The woman's cell phone was missing and authorities learned that it had been turned off around 1 am.

Ohio police had been investigating the case as a missing person since August 14, 2011.

Until April of last year when a man looking for scrap metal less than 30 miles from Katelyn's residence, found human remains instead:
CEDAR GROVE, Ind. —The man who found the remains of Katelyn Markham says it didn't appear anyone tried to hide her body…

Andy Hicks told...that he was searching for scrap metal along Big Cedar Creek in Franklin County on April 7 when he found a human jawbone.

 He said he then saw a skull inside a Kroger bag and some other bones nearby. Hicks said there was some hair, but it appears that the remains were almost completely decomposed.

Hicks said that it appeared that someone had dumped a load of trash on top of or near the body at some point, but not in a way that would have kept it hidden...
Authorities ruled the woman's death a homicide, and they are still trying to piece together what happened.

My belated condolences to the Markham family.

With some of the unreleased evidence that authorities have, I hope they are able to arrest the person responsible for this murder.

The family maintains a memorial page here.

14 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

So heart-breaking. I hope knowing the answer at least helps the family start the grieving process.

Donna K. Weaver said...

So sad. It's creepy, too, that someone appears to have gotten away with it for so long. I hope there aren't other victims.

messymimi said...

Knowing she is gone and being able to lay her to rest may provide some healing for the family, but until they know the rest of the story, it's going to be tough.

My condolences to them, and i hope they catch whoever is responsible.

Pat Hatt said...

Hopefully they catch the guy, sounds like he or she was either waiting or knew her

Lydia Kang said...

So, so sad. At least the family can have some closure about what happened, but still. Just awful.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Poor girl. And her family!

Brian Miller said...

ugh. makes you wonder what happened...and i def hope they catch this guy...def intriguing that he roomed the dog...wonder if he knew...

Stephanie Faris said...

I hate when these have sad endings. :-(

BobKat said...

Very sad conclusion to someone's life. To me it seems like she knew the person, her dog being in the bedroom, and in this case she took her cell-phone with. Thanks for the follow-up.

ladyfi said...

So so sad.

Maxi said...

Although this family must be grateful that Katelyn has been found…

Justice will come when authorities find the one who took her life.

blessings ~ maxi

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I hope they're able to figure out who did it.

At least the family got some closure. My heart goes out to them.

Bob G. said...

SLamdunk:
Oh, God...that is too damn tragic.
And to have seemingly NO clues at her place and nothing missing.
Very strange to say the least.

I can't begin to imagine how the family has taken all of this.
I suppose they ask the one question I keep asking...
WHY?

Good post & heartfelt comments.

Stay safe out there.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the boyfriend never heard that Katelyn hadn't shown up for work that day.