A Day for Mom?

Near-empty.

It was around 1 pm on Sunday, and that was the first comment from the kids as we pulled into the parking lot of Toys"R"Us.

"Mom, I have never seen Toys'R'Us so empty," our elementary school daughter observed.

"Three… four… five cars? You are right." I replied.

With a laugh, mom added: "Well, I don't think that the 'world's greatest toy store' is on the top 10 most desirable Mother's Day destinations."

She had a point.

Nevertheless, we had a fun hour as a family looking and playing.

The moment reminded me of a discussion that I had when I was a child.

I remember asking my father: "Mother's Day? Father's Day? Grandparents Day? When will it be kids day?

Dad just smiled and replied: "Son, every day is kids day."

I guess we illustrated Dad's point decades later by starting a day for moms with a trip to the toy store.
_________________________________

Happy belated Mother's Day to all those underappreciated moms out there.  

And don't worry, mom's day got better at our house.

18 comments:

Anthony Hopper said...

Happy Mother's Day....

Stephanie Faris said...

I think I asked the same question when I was a kid--and my parents gave me the same answer. Every day is kids' day!

Bijoux said...

LOL....I remember asking that question as a kid and getting the same response!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Ha - that is funny!

messymimi said...

In the Peanuts comic strip, Linus tells Lucy that every adult gives that answer to that question. It's universal!

Happy Mother's Day to your wonderful wife.

Diane Estrella said...

Being a mom is always made better by a dad that takes care of her too.

Pat Hatt said...

haha I asked it too and got the same answer.

aida pajko said...

This is funny, Love it!

aidaapajko said...

This is funny, love it!

Mary Kirkland said...

That's funny, I asked that same question when I was a kid and got the same answer.

terri said...

Glad to hear that Mrs. Slam Dunk had a nice Mothers Day, in spite of the visit to the toy store.

I used to ask my dad the same question about "kids day." He told me that Kids Day was on the fourth of July. And I believed him.

Brian Miller said...

ha. we have had that same conversation...and come to the same conclusion as well...

WomanHonorThyself said...

aw how sweet Slam!..happy belated mothers day to the lady of the house and hope the kiddies had a ball with mom and dad!

Stephanie D said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had started another one last year but it just didn't feel like home...
Great post. I can relate. My daughter was born the day before Mother's Day...
Best
Gift
Ever!

ladyfi said...

LOL - my kids ask the very same question!

Weekend-Windup said...

Seems to be funny!

lisa said...

LOL! I remember many a *Mother's Day* when the moms in the neighborhood were watching the kids while the dads were playing basketball! Go figure. :-)

Hilary said...

Ah you weren't alone in asking that question and getting that answer.