Brady Cops

Pardon me while I use today's post to clarify what seems to be misunderstood by some in referencing police misconduct stories…
__________________

"Brady Cops" and the "Brady List" refer to a 1963 Supreme Court ruling (Brady V. Maryland) that the government has a legal obligation to disclose evidence which may justify or excuse an accused defendant's actions.

In essence, the prosecution cannot withhold evidence that could strengthen a defendant's case.

From this decision, "Brady Cops" or being on the "Brady List" refers to police officers who previously have been shown as dishonest or otherwise acted in a manner to be discredited while serving in an official capacity.

When a district attorney uses a person on a "Brady List" in a case, he/she will certainly want to know as it could jeopardize that prosecution.

As you can imagine, the defense would certainly attack the credibility of any police officer with this negative designation.

Jurisdictions handle "Brady Cops" differently--whether there is a formal list or they rely on police agency notification--but officials are all still bound by this 1963 decision.

Recently, a reporter obtained a copy of a "Brady List" from officials in Broward County, Florida.

It is 22 pages long and includes 147 names and summary information on alleged/proven misconduct.

Some of the individuals are still being investigated, and would be removed from the list if the allegations against them are unsubstantiated.

If you are interested in seeing one, Broward County's "Brady List" is here.

18 comments:

Diane Estrella said...

I've never heard that term before. The first thing that popped into my head was the Brady Bunch, which I thought, hmm... did not know they had a new gig. It's early is my excuse.....

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Well you taught me something new today!

Bijoux said...

Yikes!

Aida Pajko said...

I had a look at the Brady list and I think the way you have explained it and justified it is on point! I think a lot of people that read this will have a better understanding of it as you have broken it down in a way thats explained well and having the link to it is helpful. So thanks for posting this :)

Momma Fargo said...

Well, I was not on it. LOL. That was good, right?

Momma Fargo said...

PS. I shared you on The Boogie Man Facebook Forum page.

messymimi said...

This is a new one on me, too. It would seem to me that a good officer would be concerned with getting to the truth and arresting the correct person, not just proving the person arrested is the correct one in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Carol Kilgore said...

I didn't know they kept actual lists. Good to know.

Stephanie Faris said...

My husband says, "Pure evil isn't when you commit an evil act. It's when you justify that act."

Pat Hatt said...

Never heard of such a list before. Sucks for the ones, if any, falsely accused and had their name released though.

Mary Kirkland said...

I actually did not know this. Thanks for the information.

Lady Lilith said...

In a way it is kind of sad that the people who are supposed to trust us cannot be trusted.

Chrys Fey said...

I've never hard of this list before. And I find it interesting that one exists. I also believe it's good that it does exist.

Clarissa Draper said...

I must have missed something but it's all really interesting.

Brian Miller said...

interesting...i knew about the brady decision...dont know that i knew about the list though...interesting...will have to check out some others if i can find them...

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
That's a very interesting find...did not know that about this list, and it looks like I'm not alone.
Makes me wonder how many OTHER counties across the nation have such lists, and how are they handling them?
.
Guess someone IS keeping track of others, substantiated or not.

Good post.
Stay safe.

Bossy Betty said...

Now I know! I think that makes me cool. Doesn't it?

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the comments all.

@MommaFargo: I appreciate it. Ha, that should chase some readers from your.