Vanished: Lucas Prassas


Photo Credit
Overview
Twenty-one-year-old Lucas Prassas was last seen at his residence in Wynne, Arkansas on the morning of November, 29, 2013.

The man's grandmother said that she stopped by his apartment two days later, found the door unlocked, but no sign of her grandson.

Nothing appeared to be missing from the young man's apartment, and concerned relatives contacted police.

Reportedly, Luke is autistic, suffers from depression, and is bi-polar. He disappeared without his medicines and does not drive.

Online Activities
Reading Lucas Prassas' past Internet posts and conversations are uncomfortable.

Perhaps the writings are the result of his medical issues, but nonetheless, it is still difficult reading.

His comments can be crude.

He appears angry.

Prior to his disappearance, he seems to be engaged in multiple arguments, and describes himself as an online troll.

In one conversation, he challenges individuals to face-to-face confrontations.

He uses his real name and provides his real home address; apartment number and all.

A standard missing person investigation is difficult enough--did the person leave and start a new life or could they have been harmed?

But Lucas' challenge and posted home address add an additional wrinkle.

What if someone that the missing man had been bickering with online, accepted the challenge and traveled to Wynne, AR?

Case Recommendations
I think the best approach in finding Lucas would be to focus on his computer activities:

1) Conduct computer forensics

Before his disappearance, the missing man was immersed in social media and obviously spent lots of time online. What sites did he visit? What postings did he make? Something valuable to the investigation could be waiting there to be found.

2) Obtain legal access to his "real name" social media accounts

Was he being threatened? Had he befriended an individual and had they agreed to meet somewhere? Since he previously lived in Illinois, had he been in contact with people he knew there? His email and private messages may be useful in identifying threats and/or opportunities.

3) Identify and then obtain legal access to his "alias" accounts

With the basic information the public has about Luke, what can be found and attributed to him is likely the tip of an iceberg. He alludes to having other Internet personas. Could he be hiding from someone and only checking accounts that are not linked to his real name? What information might those unknown accounts hold regarding his whereabouts?

-----------
Portrayed as a missing person with medical issues that could jeopardize his safety would certainly help anyone trying to obtain a warrant to examine his computer and/or accounts.

Though the case has generated little attention from the media, Lucas Prassas' grandmother (Audery Waldo) has been very active online--repeatedly publicizing her grandson's case and pleading for anyone with information to go to authorities.

The details behind Lucas' disappearance are unique, but sadly, he is one of the over 16,000 stories of adults and children currently missing in the United States.
_______________________

You can read previous posts from my Missing Person Monday series, by clicking here.


26 comments:

Bijoux said...

I think it's odd that a 21 YO with that many issues is living alone.

Mary Kirkland said...

Oh that's sad. With giving out his name and address, someone probably found him and who knows what happened after that.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

He sounds like he should've been in a halfway house or some kind of independent living program.

Diane Estrella said...

So sad. It sounds like anything could have happened. I hope the investigators are covering all the different avenues you mentioned.

Pat Hatt said...

You say the wrong thing to the wrong nut online and they will track you down. Hopefully that's not the case.

messymimi said...

He may have been living alone specifically because he refused to take his meds, and his family loved him but couldn't deal with him unless he agreed to take the medication. That does happen, and i can't blame the family.

It's that limbo where people who "aren't a danger to themselves or others" get stuck in; they exercise their right to refuse medication, then their out of control behavior puts them and others at risk.

Every day that goes by and the authorities don't take the steps outlined here is a wasted day for this case.

Stephanie Faris said...

Great recommendations. You should be a detective! When I was a blogger on MySpace, trolls were quite a common occurrence and you could tell some of those individuals were highly disturbed. Since the MySpace days, some of them have committed suicide or died via other causes. A couple of the others are on Facebook and seem to constantly have drama in their own lives. They don't seem to be happy unless they're surrounded by turmoil.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
You expressed some very good methods for chasing after the facts. Sounds like a plan to me.

I'm one of those that fully believes in technology, AS LONG AS it does not become MISUSED...sadly I'm usually wrong, because it IS, and all too frequently.
I'm not into "social media" other than blogging, and I like it that way.
Fewer trolls, and more satisfaction.

Very good post.

Stay safe out there.

Anonymous said...

I am Audrey Waldo, Luke's grandmother. Some of you are so right. He was living alone because of refusal to take his meds, attacking his grandfather and destroying the house by punching the walls. I tried to get him in a group home with all my energy but he was between 18 and 21 and I could not find ANYONE who would take that age group. When he left he appeared to take his Medicaid card and his ID card.I too have read his posts and I pray that they sound disjointed enough for people not to have taken him seriously. I even had my guardianship reinstated because I thought the hospitals would have to tell me if he were there. Unfortunately they say that the "Hippa" law overrides my guardianship. There were no signs of a struggle, he had cash on his desk and his bank card. This reassures me in some ways, I think anyone out to harm him would at least take the cash. And Luke would not go easily. There is also the possibility that he met someone during his last hospital stay and is with that person. They would be his first love and I think thoughts of me and how panicked I am would go right out the window. I also spoke via computer to the person Luke challenged. His name is Tom Dane and when I wrote to him he said I was a dummy and no one there would bother him; they were just trying to help him get over his pro feminism stance. Anyway, he likes being in a hospital, he feels more equal there and no one here who knows him thinks he is dead. I am trying to put together some reward money so if anyone wants to help even a little my email is auderywaldo@att.net. Even a few dollars might help.

Brian Miller said...

ugh my money would be on someone he pissed off taking him up on it....esp if he was angry and spewing...

Kay G. said...

Wow, this is such a sad case.
Autism...it is something that I haven't thought that much about until this past year when my friend found out her grandson is autistic.
I think more should be done for those with autism. It seems to much more common than we are led to believe.

Hilary said...

What a heartbreaking story. I hope they can at least learn what happened. More than that, I hope he's okay.. somewhere.

Clarissa Draper said...

That's very scary. I hope they find him soon. Yes, it's so dangerous to give information online.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Are you advising the family? You should be.

debi o'neille said...

Social media can be a curse and a blessing. For the blessing part, I'm going to share this link on FB and hope someone has seen him and shares the news.
Best,
Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

Carol Kilgore said...

They are out there. I hope he's found safe. And I hope he doesn't do any harm.

Janet Johnson said...

Social Media can be scary. I hope they find him. And I hope the grandmother (just read her comment) is right, that he just ended up at a hospital.

terri said...

His angry Facebook post seems like a plea for help. He basically invited others to come and attack him. He was obviously screaming for attention, but didn't know how to do it in any kind of healthy way.

I feel so sorry for his grandmother. I hope she finds some answers.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

It is sad and hard when these mental/anger issues feed into investigations. I totally understand that it is inherent to the case but it just seems to add a component that sets them back even a bit more.

It's amazing to me how many missing people are out there. I know there's a few that are handplucked and fed into the mainstream media that we all focus on, but it's crazy to continually hear about others from all over.

Carma Sez said...

so sad. Seems he would have benefited from someone monitoring his internet activities. Seems he was a danger to himself :(

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the comments all.

@ Audrey: I appreciate you sharing the additional insights on Luke. You and your family are in my prayers.

lisa said...

Autistic and bi-polar?! One would be a challenge, but combined could be extremely dangerous….especially when combined with depression. I can't even comprehend what behavior might happen during a manic episode if someone was also autistic. Doesn't sound like he should have been living alone. I hope someone finds him.

Anonymous said...

He isn't/wasn't dangerous. He was very afraid of confrontation outside the home and never did it. He is just a very young, immature man who wanted so badly to find a place he could fit in. I tried like hell to get him into a group home when he was 20 but almost none take them over 18 and under 21. I checked on him every day. I hooked him up with a great therapist, but he left before he ever saw her. With me he was sweet and funny and loved to laugh. We watched "Big Bang Theory" together all the time and his laugh came from his whole being. I would do anything just to hear from him. My feeling is Luke won't be found unless he wants to be.

Anonymous said...

For those of you who think his computer (hardrive?) should be checked, I agree. Sadly, he broke the computer, modem, monitor and threw it all away. Very few people think he is deceased. There are so many things that might have happened, so many places he might have gone that it overwhelms me.
I will tell you with great surety that Luke did not go out there and hurt anyone. He has great empathy for other troubled people and wants to help them. He also has a tested IQ of 147 so I hope and pray that he finally used that intellect to keep himself safe,

Anonymous said...

And no one has tried to help me. Only a few sites like this have even tried at all. The police do not even return my calls or emails. I tried so many sites and places; I even had my guardianship reinstated for $1000 dollars (a fortune to me) and that rotten person who calls herself a lawyer didn't even call me back when I said I could only give her maybe $100 more. I am from Chicago and I don't understand the ways of the people here. They act so nice and helpful and then nothing. I am 63 years old and don't have any ideas how or where to search for him. All the hospitals said they could give me no info, nor the police no info because of the hippa law.
All I am is a rapidly aging lady who prays to see her boy again alive and well while I am still on this earth.
I thought I did good with Luke but now I feel that this is the worst in a long line of failure. Why doesn't anyone try to find this kid? His life hasn't even started.

Anonymous said...

He is not forgotten Audrey, I check back quite a bit. Still praying