Always Bring this on a Run

Your sense of awareness.

Let me explain...
-----------------------

I don't usually listen to tunes while I am running. I prefer to be lost in my own thoughts, yet still conscious of my surroundings.

Absorbing the sounds of nature to the staccato strikes of my feet.

Likely the result of working with too many crime victims who were accosted while hiking/walking/running on trails or in neighborhoods.

Also, it is beneficial to hear that distracted driving roaring up on you.

But when I do listen to music while pounding pavement, I keep the volume low.

I am not sure if Hong Nguyen had headphones with her when she was running this week, but we as a society owe her a debt of gratitude for being aware.

Ms. Nguyen of Vietnam is on a 5-day trip to see family in Texas, and on Tuesday she decided to go for an early morning run in Houston.

It was her first jog since arriving and she chose what authorities described as route not well traveled.

While running, she heard strange sounds. She stopped and began to look around.

The sounds were cries--like that from a human and not from an animal. The noise was coming from some high weeds in a field near where she was standing.

Ms. Nguyen sifted through the brush and was startled to find 8-month-old Genesis Hailey strapped to a car seat and abandoned. Crying.

Genesis Hailey

Four hours earlier, Houston Police had launched an Amber Alert for Genesis after the vehicle she had been a passenger was stolen from a convenience store.

Two hours after the car theft, police located the abandoned vehicle, but there was no sign of the missing child.

Ms. Nguyen contacted 911 immediately, and Officer Albert Pizana arrived and wrapped the child in his uniform shirt.

Genesis was then transported to a local hospital where she was released in good condition to her mother.

Reportedly, she suffered ant bites during her ordeal (those Texas ants enjoy me too when I am there).

Thank goodness that Ms. Nguyen was there listening, and courageously took action.

My message?

Go outside.

Hike. Bike. Run. Walk.

Listen to tunes or listen to nature.

But, always be conscious of your environment.

You never know when you will be called to save a life.

As Hong Nguyen, 8,000 miles from home, saved baby Genesis on a June morning.

_____________

Have a super weekend everyone. 



19 comments:

ladyfi said...

What a heart-warming story. So glad it had a happy ending.

Bijoux said...

Glad this story has a happy ending.

I feel 100 percent safe walking alone in my own neighborhood, but I never go to public parks alone. I'm always surprised at how many people do.

Kay G. said...

I think that the sense of awareness should be something that should always be with us.
I saw on the news about this jogger who found this baby. I am glad she heard her!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

How fortunate!

Those Texas fire ants. I remember them all too well.

Pat Hatt said...

Awesome she was there and found her. I never ever listen to music when out walking etc. as I want to hear my surroundings, as i just know some dumb driver will hit me haha

Rachna Chhabria said...

What a heart warming story. Lucky for baby Genesis that Hong Nguyen found her.

Mark Koopmans said...

Aloha Slam,

I heard about this case, but didn't read a full article, so my jaw dropped to hear ho close the little girl was to a really bad situation.

God works in mysterious ways, and that jogger was definitely in the right place at the right time!

PS: Good on you for learning the rules of soccer... I had to do the same with baseball and now at least I understand what my boys are trying to tell me :)

Have a great weekend, too :)

messymimi said...

This story was on the radio the other day, and i'm so happy she paid attention and didn't just figure it was "someone else's problem."

M Pax said...

A powerful story with a wonderful message. Usually, I like listening to my raw world. I find it soothing these days.

Mia Hayson said...

What a story! Awareness is great, sometimes it's about being safe and other times it's because the world is too beautiful to ignore all of the time. I'm often shocked at how full of nature the city streets are.

<3

Brian Miller said...

wow. how lucky...ugh, who would abandon a defenseless child...its heart breaking and i know it happens far too often....but ugh...glad the little one was found..

Mary Kirkland said...

That's a great story.

Gail Dixon said...

Whew. That was not how I expected the story to end. That had to be a God thing. We had a female runner attacked in a posh neighborhood here recently. She was listening to tunes and jogging alone...never saw or heard the guy coming. This was a great post. Thank you!

Stephanie Faris said...

OMG that IS a happy ending. I can't believe someone stole a car with a baby in it. I'm sure the thief had no idea the baby was in there, but just leaving her by the side of the road?

terri said...

What a miracle! Count me among the many who are glad that Hong Nguyen was listening to the sounds around her while she was running. Bet she never expected to save a life while out doing her morning exercise!

Secret Agent Woman said...

That's the third "pedestrians finds and abandoned baby" story I've heard int he past week!

I keep my music on low enough to hear over it when I walk or run.

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

Wow. Great story, powerfully told. Wonderful stuff!

Theresa Milstein said...

Wow! I'm going to keep my music on low when I walk the dog.

HappinessSavouredHot said...

Whoah, this is quite a story! I listen to music when I run, but I keep it very low as there are bears and coyotes in the area!