Kimchi

A recent conversation at work about odd smells reminded me of an exchange that happened back in my policing days.

I was working plain-clothes, had an office, and a shared break room--with a refrigerator, snack machine, and microwave--typical office environment.

One day, I walked into the break room to retrieve my bag lunch, and knew I had made a poor decision.
ME: Hi Captain. Uh, what has you busy over there?

Then IT hits me. Not again. Fermented cabbage. I briefly cover my face as the stench coming from the Captain's direction overpowers me, but quickly regain my composure before he turns my way.

CAPTAIN: Dinner! And this Kimchi has been calling my name all week.

Sensitive that this is one of my bosses, yet curious as to why he insists on peeling paint off this police facility's walls with his lunch concoction, I jokingly interrogate. 

ME: Wow, that stuff is powerful. I am surprised the chief does not make you eat that outside. Does your wife like Kimchi as well?

CAPTAIN: No, she hates the stuff. She won't let me eat it at home. She insists that bring it here.

I laugh, make a mental note to remove the Captain's wife from my Christmas card list, and then excuse myself to search in vain for an air pocket untarnished by the boss' Korean delicacy. 
Darn bosses.

Do you have a memory of anyone stinking up your office area with a food choice?

___________________________

Note 1: Since the Captain was a good "ole country boy" who drove a pickup and enjoyed auto racing, I failed as an investigator in never establishing how he discovered Kimchi--obviously not via his spouse. 

Note 2: For some in the South, the noon meal is referred to as "dinner" and the evening meal is called "supper." The Captain was eating a "lunch" despite calling it "dinner."

Enjoy your weekend everyone. 

25 comments:

Mary Kirkland said...

That's hilarious. I've eaten Pickled Pigs Feet and hubby will no longer allow me to open the jar in the apartment because he said it smelled like death. lol

Stephanie Faris said...

I worked next to the microwave in an office for a while. There was a woman from another country who ate something crazy for breakfast. I'm not sure what it was, but it smelled like something you'd eat for lunch, at the very least. So it would be 8 a.m. and she'd fire that smelly stuff up. It always amazed me that people would eat these huge breakfasts, followed a couple of hours later by a huge lunch. I don't know how they did it. I usually don't even eat breakfast.

Stephanie Faris said...

Also--I gave you a shout out on my blog today! You don't have to do the tag unless you want. I'm a no-pressure tagger!

Bijoux said...

I have never had Kimchi, though it sure is popular now I liked sauerkraut as a kid, but never have it as an adult because no one here would eat it.

Diane Estrella said...

I have a dainty stomach and can't stand spicy/strong foods. No kimchi for me thanks!

cestlavie22 said...

I dont have a smell that I remember but I do remember my boss's desire to eat an apple with his mouth wide open while he chats with me squirting me with spit the entire time...

Pat Hatt said...

Never even heard of Kimchi, I think my nose is thankful for that by the way you describe it haha thankfully never had a problem. Worst things i smell is in the litterbox

ladyfi said...

ooo - I love kimchi!

WomanHonorThyself said...

how bout some shwarma with techina?..lol have a blessed weekend dear friend!

Lady Lilith said...

Smart wife. Make you all suffer.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Man, I feel your (olfactory) PAIN there...
Can;t ever say I've had to share such an experience...was too busy eating "on the road", or in the Fed cafeteria.
I know some Eastern Indiana foods can be "pungent", as can some SE Asian delicacies.

Good post.

Stay safe out there.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I have never heard of Kimchi. I prefer food light and with mild flavours and fragrances.

Chrys Fey said...

I love that story! I've never tried Kimchi, but now I'm afraid to because of how bad it smells. lol

When I first moved to Florida as a kid with my family, we said "supper" but then it changed back to "dinner" as we got older.

lisa said...

I'm that way with sauerkraut. Can't stand the smell of it. Have to leave the kitchen when Entrepreneur makes it. I refuse to cook it or clean it up. I can barely tolerate it at the table! I make a terrible German. :-)

messymimi said...

Wonder if he was in the military, and did a tour overseas. He may have discovered it that way, if he was ever stationed in Korea.

Anyway, there have been a few people who have worn enough perfume or cologne that i've wanted to say, "Nice scent, must you marinate in it?"

Stephanie D said...

To me, food cooked with curry is the worst smell ever! I can't stand to be in the same room with curry! :)

Brian Miller said...

ha. used to have a customer when i worked at the bank that would bring me chitlins every time i did a loan for her...and gosh they stunk...i did not have the heart to tell her to stop

Kay G. said...

Oh YES! It was some kind of Chinese food, the BROCCOLI smell was in the office for DAYS!!
By the way, did you see DATELINE last night? It was from right here in Conyers, Georgia! If you missed it, make sure you see it on a re-run, it was called "Bad Blood". I think the police officers and DA come out looking very good in this one.

Gail Dixon said...

Oh how awful!! I had a coworker once that brought something fishy into our small office and my boss told her never to microwave that crap again. He was kind of rude about it, but I think he was having a meeting with outsiders that afternoon and was embarrassed.

Katherines Corner said...

giggle, I can relate to this one. When I worked at the Hospital I remember going to the break room and smelling broccoli soup. Combined with the smells of a hospital antiseptic...:-( I can still smell it if I close my eyes, giggle. Hugs!

Tara Tyler R said...

i believe i've seen kimchi on Chopped, didnt realize how potent it was... interesting plot possibilities!

thanks for the story - and glad i got to meet you through my beastly quiz! (and stephanie says good things too!)

Donna K. Weaver said...

Too funny. I lived in South Korea as a kid. Poweful stuff.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I really hate smelling cooked food of any sort at work, but especially pungent ones like that. Yigh.

Gloria Baker said...

I never heard about kimchi but I know how smell lol!
and I know something new!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I like kimchi, but save it for restaurants. It really is stinky!