Try Extreme Couponing Rather than This

It is really a good thing that the vast majority of convicted sex offenders follow the law and update law enforcement with their current addresses.

For instance…

Over 500 registered sex and/or violent offenders reside in Cascade County, Montana.

A few weeks ago, officials from the Great Falls Police Department and the Montana Department of Justice collaborated to bring 40 of those offenders back into compliance--by obtaining valid home addresses.

So, 89% of registered sex offenders there were doing what they were supposed to and disclosing residential information to authorities.

And after the extra enforcement, the updated total of offenders in compliance was about 97%.

Nice work.

But, can you imagine the public outcry if compliance was only like 6 out of 10? That 40% were unaccounted for?

Yikes.

Still, officials are looking for the 20 other missing MT sex offenders.

Well, which is less than comforting.

Closer to my world, I was studying local registered sex offenders for a project at work.

Evidently, I spent so much time reviewing the names, case information, mugshots, etc., that I told the Mrs. I saw "Ricky" a few weeks ago at the local recycling center.

Spotted him chatting with another fellow next to the bin for brown glass.

I recognized Ricky as a Level 2 registered sex offender from a neighboring town.

The Mrs. was less than impressed with my story.

As such, I have a request for my blogger friends:

Please remind me to talk less about the residuals of my crime projects with family, and more about back to school sales, extreme couponing, and/or local wildlife sightings, ok?

It will sure make my home life easier.

Thanks.

21 comments:

Bijoux said...

Actually, I would want to know if my spouse saw a sex offender anywhere we frequent.

Miranda Hardy said...

The only registered sex offender in my neighborhood lives three doors down, so you better believe I'm hounding my kids often. Considering where I live, those are actually low statistics believe it or not. Now back to the coupon clipping.

Pat Hatt said...

lol and you are on a first name basis too. Might want to stick to couponing

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Coupon cutting sounds like a great idea. And who doesn't like back to school sales...other than the kids? :)

messymimi said...

Pull out the board games and play with the kids, no talk of work allowed! You will all be amazed at how much fun it is.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I check the registry from time to time. THe closest one to us lives about 3 miles away.

M Pax said...

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I imagine that type of work would stick with you.

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

:) it sounds like you are in the same field of work as my husband. Deepest sympathies. :)

Chrys Fey said...

It is a good thing that 97% of offenders complied, but 20 offenders at large is worrisome indeed.

Jennifer Hillier said...

You know, I never thought to check the registry until just now. So I did... and I have two within 3 miles of here. One raped a woman at knife-point, the other molested 4 kids under the age of 13 over an 8-year span.

Wow. But it's better to know than not know. Thanks for the reminder.

Carol Kilgore said...

Oops :)
But maybe better you recognized him than a local prostitute caught up in the last sting LOL!

Gail Dixon said...

I was comfortable with the 97% figure until you said there were TWENTY still unaccounted for. That's a little scary. Better to know what's going on around you rather than hiding in coupon clippings. Your wife may not thank you now...

Stephanie Faris said...

So true! We are very lucky to not have any registered sex offenders in our neighborhood--which is weird considering some of the neighbors I've seen! A few years ago, a ditzy redhead three doors down had a registered sex offender living with her. He needed a place to stay so she let him stay with her. Not sure if she knew he was a registered sex offender. He used to ride his bike back and forth from that house to the mailboxes at the end of the block...creepy!

Brian Miller said...

ha. it doesnt make for good pillow talk...just saying...

but good to know, who is out there...

jodeeluna said...

Can't do that because your posts wake the rest of us up to the real world :)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Local wildlife, Slamdunk. Local wildlife.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
I would not have guessed that MONTANA would be such a haven for those S/Os
(must be the "ambiance")
Nice job by the PD there.
(now get those other 20)

Stay safe out there.

EC Stilson said...

I went to this site a few years ago: http://www.familywatchdog.us/
A sex offender lives right across the street from my kids' school.
I wish I would've stuck to shopping instead of snooping.
But on the bright side, my kids don't walk to school anymore ;)

Hilary said...

I can't blame your wife one bit. 'Tis scary stuff.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Ooops. I checked the list for my neighborhood a few years back and very surprised!

Gloria Baker said...

Why Montana? Is a coincidence or they like to go there?
The wifes would be patient to heard stories of all type sigh!
(And the hubbies too)
Well is about to live together ha!
We know so much each other lol
X