A New Approach to Extreme Couponing

To my Canadian friends: Happy belated Canada Day.

To my American friends: Happy 4th of July.

To all my readers and friends: if it seems to good to be true, well it probably is.

Even if we are talking about product coupons, as illustrated by this story from North Carolina:
(ABERDEEN) ...police arrested an Ellerbe man and woman after they allegedly used counterfeit coupons to obtain items from Walmart.

Sandra Webb Yaklin, 54, and James Vernon Rainwater, 52...were arrested on June 18. Police charged each with one count of felony fraud-obtaining money or property by false pretense.

"They were buying a little bit of something and then using coupons for a free item," said Aberdeen Deputy Chief Carl Colasacco. Colasacco said an alert clerk at the store suspected something was "strange" about the coupons and called a manager. And then the police were called.

Aberdeen police confiscated more than 870 coupons and recovered numerous grocery items, including laundry detergent, bacon, chips and gatorade. The items were valued at more than $150.

The accused told police they bought the coupons online, Colasacco said.

"I have seen a lot of counterfeit money," Colasacco said, "But I have never seen somebody counterfeit coupons"...

Does this mean that some of the appealing offers I see on the wonderful "InterWeb" are scams?

Hmm, I better be more careful.

If you need me, I'll be inspecting the coupon drawer here at the house. No telling what we have in there.

13 comments:

Bijoux said...

I have noticed that cashiers exam my Internet coupons more carefully than the ones from circulars in the Sunday paper.

Pat Hatt said...

lol that would suck, think you got a nifty deal and then get thrown in the slammer. Of course they could be full of it too.

joeh said...

If they were to make coupons illegal I would be very happy.

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

Ah...only at Walmart. :)
Hope your couponing drawer is kosher!

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Welcome to the wonderful world of "technology".

With every advance in such things, there comes with it,. the irresponsible use of such things for whatever personal gain that can be had.
I rarely use ANY coupons, and none from online.
Yeah, I wouldn't shed a tear if coupons went away...(as long as prices dropped accordingly to compensate).

Nothing can be made completely fool-proof as long as society has it's share of fools...lol.

Have yourself a safe and patriotic weekend.

messymimi said...

Our local MomAndPop grocery just won't accept internet generated, print-at-home coupons. As for coupons themselves, i usually don't bother because the generic stuff is cheaper even with the coupon.

Maxi said...

For Pete's Sake, Slam. It just never ends. GREED.
blessings ~ maxi

terri said...

Happy 4th of July to you!

I'm not surprised that someone has found a way to scam the coupon industry now too. Just a sad reality of the advances in technology.

Mary Kirkland said...

Happy 4th of July!

Counterfeit coupons...well there's something I didn't expect to read.

Gail Dixon said...

The lengths people will go through to save a buck. Sheesh! Hardly surprising these days...

ladyfi said...

Yes - all these offers of winning free items are usually fake!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

crazy! I guess it was only a matter of time ... I should coupon but I don't so this likely won't affect me!

lisa said...

LOL! Be careful, it's a jungle out there! Forged coupons....what's next? I gave up on couponing. I never could remember to take them to the store!